Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY small game heads

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Oh H--- yeah! I'll be making some of those! I'm guessing that you did'nt shoot any for group? I know that I would'nt want to. Which flies better ? Wings forward or backward?
    no groups. Lol! I think it's just a preferance thing. They seem to fly the same either way. The wings forward have a slight advantage in a way cuz they snag the grass and twigs and flip the arrow more than than other which buries into the ground. When season gets here I'm going to try them both ways to get some real results. I'll keep some in my quiver during deer season for those boring moments,too.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    [url]
    I gotta try those,too. What are those washers from? Gonna have to look for them at Lowe's tomorrow.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    I gotta try those,too. What are those washers from? Gonna have to look for them at Lowe's tomorrow.
    the washers with spikes on them are used for pounding into wood to ensure they stay in place.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the washers are for carriage bolts that is why they have the square hole in them. Try looking in the items that are in the sliding drawers in the nuts and bolt section. I couldn't find them at the one we have here but it is a smaller store.

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks guys. I'll do some looking and let y'all know what I find.

Post Thanks / Like

found em. At Lowe's in the nuts n bolts isle. They're in the slide out drawers marked furniture parts. Got 2pkgs for a total of 4 @ $2.20. They're called "pronged T-nuts". I got the 8/32x1/4. The C/32 machine screws that I had for the wingnut version thread in so no need for a nut behind it except maybe to add some weight. Gonna do some shootin w them now.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawg, Now that it seems you have everyone's creativity in gear... I wonder how a muzzy practice head(or any other) would work? Maybe nub down the tip a little to flatten and notch the blades a little. Has anyone tried one? Not as economical as the wing nut design but should eliminate most of the in-flight issues. Hmmm...may be doing some experimenting this weekend.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    found em. At Lowe's in the nuts n bolts isle. They're in the slide out drawers marked furniture parts. Got 2pkgs for a total of 4 @ $2.20. They're called "pronged T-nuts". I got the 8/32x1/4. The C/32 machine screws that I had for the wingnut version thread in so no need for a nut behind it except maybe to add some weight. Gonna do some shootin w them now.
    DO NOT shoot these at your toolbox! Lol. Left a good sized hole(.410 shotgun slug) on impact. ZERO penetration,arrow damage,and bent T-nut resulted. Would probably be awesome for a shock kill similar to the rubber blunt tips. Will test shock/kill abilities on one of the many feral cats that live in the swamp across the road next time I see one.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawg, i forgot to tell that those should be shot only at soft targets. Sorry! Thanks for telling the correct English name. I've shot these small game heads only at about 10 yards and can't say how they affect the arrow flight. I guess they act like flu-flues.
    Show some mercy to the cats and test them on rats (if you can find any). I think the result would be impressive
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

the cats aren't pets. They're ones people abandon on the rd thinking someone will give them a home. Then they make a home in the woods/swamps and breed. They need to be managed like other wildlife. But on another note, I just found out that my parents Church has a population of groundhawgs. They aren't native to Michigan. I'm guessing they hitched a ride w the Pastor on his way home from his many trips out west. Tomorrow I'm planning on taking the bow to Church tomorrow morning. No closed season on these guys considering they aren't supposed to be here. Lol