Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: DIY small game heads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    the cats aren't pets. They're ones people abandon on the rd thinking someone will give them a home. Then they make a home in the woods/swamps and breed. They need to be managed like other wildlife. But on another note, I just found out that my parents Church has a population of groundhawgs. They aren't native to Michigan. I'm guessing they hitched a ride w the Pastor on his way home from his many trips out west. Tomorrow I'm planning on taking the bow to Church tomorrow morning. No closed season on these guys considering they aren't supposed to be here. Lol
    i have to say thats a first.never hear about a guy taking his bow to church to thin out the population.lol

Post Thanks / Like

Hey great post. I tried a 5/32 bolt with a 1" washer as a blunt, from 15-20yds same point of impact, didnt try and further shots, but free and accurate is great! love this forum.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    the cats aren't pets. They're ones people abandon on the rd thinking someone will give them a home. Then they make a home in the woods/swamps and breed. They need to be managed like other wildlife. But on another note, I just found out that my parents Church has a population of groundhawgs. They aren't native to Michigan. I'm guessing they hitched a ride w the Pastor on his way home from his many trips out west. Tomorrow I'm planning on taking the bow to Church tomorrow morning. No closed season on these guys considering they aren't supposed to be here. Lol
    I've meant not to shoot the cats with these arrowheads - if you miss their skulls i don't think the impact would be deadly enough. However the groundhawgs will be a good target .... unless Someone up there decides that it's not cool to kill in one of His homes on Sunday (and i don't mean the pastor)
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I've meant not to shoot the cats with these arrowheads
    I agree, cats should only be shot with broadheads. Too hard to head shoot consistently.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure that this will do the job on a feral cat. Which, by the way, are eating the local quail population, as well as tree rats. any bunnys, and so on.

http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

As long as the cat isn't armored, that thing should go right through it. I'd think you'd have as good of a pass through as a judo point, and I have shot several rabbits with those and gotten clean pass throughs. Sharpen the wings on the nuts, and you might have something that would even take down a coyote. A friend of mine used to use adder points, but turn them around so the "legs" were pointing forwards. That really put a whallop on small game.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Sharpen the wings on the nuts, and you might have something that would even take down a coyote.
    Good idea!
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New version

i just picked up some new field points last night. they're for carbons instead of aluminum arrows. they have a longer shank on them. so i put 2 and 2 together,came out to 3 and ended up with this.
    SGH.jpg

i'll do some tests later today and post results
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like all these would blow right thru a small animal and end up destroying the arrow once it hit the ground?
    Firecat 400

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    It seems like all these would blow right thru a small animal and end up destroying the arrow once it hit the ground?
    not so far. theyve been shot through a metal tool box and metal coffee cans into the ground and no damage to the head or shaft yet. ive been playing w these since early spring and no issues. i also shoot from my roof at soda cans,gatorade bottles,etc for practice with these heads. they work awesome.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340