Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrow Weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arrow Weight

Buying a new Exile and curious as to what weight arrows would be best. Im gonn have a 29 in draw and pull 70 lbs. broadheads I have are 100gr.
    Any help on how to figure this would be great! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum.this is just a rule of thumb and by no meens set in stone but a min of 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw.and spine also plays into this as well.i shoot 73 lbs and my arrows are a 75-95 arrow,thats a 350 or 340 spine arrow im shooting.you could go with a 55-70 spine arrow but i like to have that exta bit so in my mind im not thinking that cabron shaft might snap due to the spine being right on the edge.

Post Thanks / Like

So would that be 350 gr plus broadhead of 100 gr. totaling 450 gr.?

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.eastonarchery.com/company/faq

http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_..._chapter_3.htm

Here are a couple links of good reading relative to arrows/archery.
    The arrow will have a gr. per inch weight assigned to it by the manufacturer, as will the broad head or field tip. The combined weight is important as is the gr. per inch,spine etc. Most arrow manufacturers supply info charts on the arrow carton.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

5 grains of weight per pound of pull is the minimum recommended and considered to be safe. Anything less then 5 grn/lb is said to be like dry firing a bow.

Here is where it will get very opinionated. You have the light arrow fast speeds crowd and then you have the heavy slow arrow crowd. The two crowds can not and will not acknowledge the other crowds side. Sorta like Hatfields and McCoys. The heavy crowd says they have the advantage with more down range kinetic energy (KE). The light crowd says their arrow gets there faster and still has the KE. I have seen a video that sort of debunked the heavy arrow advantage. The shooter sent heavy and light arrows down range into the same target. All the lighter arrows actually had deeper penetration than the heavy arrows surprising everyone.

Then you have high Front Of Center, Fixed vs Mechanical, Feathers vs Vanes and on and on.

Get whatever arrows you like. Practice, practice, practice. Make ethical kills. Post pics when you are done.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.goldtip.com/productdetail.aspx?ptid=3
    http://www.goldtip.com/calculators.aspx
    there are factors in arrow weight.first you have your bare shaft with grains per inch,so your arrow(depending on what brand you get)weighs in at oh lets say 8.9gpi andyou cut it down to 28" that would be 249.2,then you have your feild point at 100g so now your up to349.2,then you add the weight of you vains at 5g now your at 364.2,then you have you insert at 12g and then you knock at 11g so your at 383 give or take a point.but all and all i look at the spine of a arrow,because i dont want it to blow up upon release and have your hand looking like ground beef.not trying to scare you but that is why i shoot a arrow rated for 75-95lbs,in turn that would be a 340 spine arrow.i shoot goldtip pro hunter and i have inserted liks to calculate foc and and one is to see spine and weight info....what arrows are you going with?and how new or seasond to archery are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    http://www.goldtip.com/productdetail.aspx?ptid=3
    http://www.goldtip.com/calculators.aspx
    there are factors in arrow weight.first you have your bare shaft with grains per inch,so your arrow(depending on what brand you get)weighs in at oh lets say 8.9gpi andyou cut it down to 28" that would be 249.2,then you have your feild point at 100g so now your up to349.2,then you add the weight of you vains at 5g now your at 364.2,then you have you insert at 12g and then you knock at 11g so your at 383 give or take a point.but all and all i look at the spine of a arrow,because i dont want it to blow up upon release and have your hand looking like ground beef.not trying to scare you but that is why i shoot a arrow rated for 75-95lbs,in turn that would be a 340 spine arrow.i shoot goldtip pro hunter and i have inserted liks to calculate foc and and one is to see spine and weight info....what arrows are you going with?and how new or seasond to archery are you?
    I will probably go with easton or gold tip. I have been bow hunting for 6 years and this is my third bow. Bought a martin mag cat in 2006 had a bear whitetail hunter for my first so I am really looking forward to this upgrade. Cant find to many places around central illinois that sell martins without an hour or more drive. bought the exile online in a package and am waiting for it to arrive. figure if i cant finish setting it up then i will have to pay someone to do it. either way i want it right.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    The 425 gr arrow would give the same 66 ft pounds, but have a little more momentum.
    Momentum is very important and that weight is what I would be recommending, 400 to 450 grains for hunting. A Gold Tip Expedition 7595 or Velocity Hunter in 340 or 300 depending on how your bow tunes would make an good economical hunting arrow.

Post Thanks / Like

get some Easton FMJ 340's in 28" length...youll never look back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Momentum is very important and that weight is what I would be recommending, 400 to 450 grains for hunting. A Gold Tip Expedition 7595 or Velocity Hunter in 340 or 300 depending on how your bow tunes would make an good economical hunting arrow.
    Shooting the Velocity 400s right now - estimated weight at 340-345 grains. Have no doubt these are going to light the whitetail up - but the Kinetics have my fancy tickled a little bit. Might give those a whirl sometime.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff