Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with cam on Fury bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Problems with cam on Fury bow

Firstly I am very new to shooting bows. I have been wanting to learn but never got a bow... I recently got a Fury off of one of my customers and put new rest, stabilizer, sight, and a few other things...

i had a guy installing peep sight and he said the circle should be flush with the outside of the sight's circle, which i had it pulled back and had to let it go forward to have it lined up which was very hard to keep stable...

he told me that my... let off was too high and that i needed around about a 28...

my question is can i replace cams on this bow to lower the let off? if so how or where would i be able to buy this at... or any other solutions would be helpfull...
    I am 5'6 and 135 lbs if that helps... ty much

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome...First you need to establish the foundation of specifics relative to you and your bow. If you have no hands on experience I recommend finding a reputable bow shop w/ a good tech to aclamate you to some of the needed info. Find out what your draw length is. Find out what the draw length setting is on the bow. For now disregard the sight ring lining up w/ the peep. When the peep is installed you should be able to draw your bow (once it is set up) with eyes closed; when at full draw open to aim through the peep. It (the peep)should be in your sight line as soon as your eye is open. Don't lean or move your head around to find it. As far as the bow adj. goes most dealers should be able to locate any part needed for adjustment.

...Just a start, there is a bunch more to talk about and I'm sure someone will be on to help out more.
    http://www.martinarchery.com/bows1999/cam.htm This link may help.
    Last edited by cjchasman; 07-23-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

that info helps out alot. the guy i was dealing with has a shop right outside his home, but didn't seem much interested in helping to find parts... but seemed quick to tell me that draw length was to far on that bow, and that he had one that would suit me a lot better for 450$...

so i can replace the cam with a shorter draw length one, and do u think he would still be able to find one for a fury, being that they have been discontinued for a while?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    had to let it go forward to have it lined up which was very hard to keep stable
    It sounds like your draw length might be too long and need a shorter draw. If your draw length is correct you need to move your peep so it lines up better, don't let the string creep forward.

he told me that my... let off was too high and that i needed around about a 28...
    Draw length of 28", let off is different, its the amount of weight the bow drops at full draw.

my question is can i replace cams on this bow
    What bow? Post a photo if you don't know and the first two numbers in the serial will tell you which year it is. Most bows have modules you can replace to adjust the draw length.

Post Thanks / Like

First, I would confirm "if" I needed to change and what I needed to change to. I'm not sure how difficult the cams are to find but you are in the right place...someone will be able to help. What is your draw length and what cams are on the bow now. Give us some numbers or post pics. Also go to the Martin web site for 2011 and do a dealer search for your area. You can even call Martin direct. You will be pleased to find how helpful they are.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

PS.........given your stated size my guess is that the draw length of the bow is too long for you. You may have not even got to the cam let off when you drew the bow which will make it difficult to hold shooting form. Get us some numbers asap. If you don't know what your draw length is get a wing span measurement. Stand against a wall, stretch arms out horizontal to floor right angle to your chest cavity along the wall (like a cross) Measure from tip of fingers L hand to Right hand tip of fingers.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some thngs to add to what cj just posted. This is just for information at this point. I never heard of a Martin Fury bow so I Googled it. Low and behold, it was a Martin bow----1999 model, with Fury cams. One problem you may have is that the Fury cams are draw length specific, meaning they can't be adjusted. To change the draw length you need to get smaller cams. Cams this old are very hard to find. Most likely you'd need to change string and cables accordingly to fit the smaller cam. Smaller cams mean less leverage to roll them over so maybe lighter limbs would be required. I believe these are 16" limbs which are no longer available. In othr words you'd be looking for used parts.

Now let's address another issue. The bow's draw length and how it fits you. Unless you have long monkey arms there is no way a 28" draw would fit you. You'd need something closer to a 26" draw, give or take a bit. Best way to find out is to find a good archery shop and let them measure you for draw length. Another way is to use what is called the Wingspan Method. Here's how it works. Stand with your back against a wall with arms stretched out to the sides at shoulder height, fingers oustretched. Measure from fingertip to fingertip and divide this by 2.5 Not necessarily precise it should get you close--within 1/2" anyway.

It is at this point I ask you what size cam is on the bow. The Fury cams were made in 9 sizes and marked accordingly with #1 being the shortest for 23" draw and #9 for a 31" draw. If my suspicions are right then you would need #4 or #5 Fury cams.

Hope some of this info helps without confusing you too much.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default pics and numbers

it is a Martin Fury Pro Series camo

the cam shows a 4 on it, but all of the imprints on the sticker are worn off, i cannot find a serial number lol (wish i could be more help on this)

my arm length is 68.5 inches... i could max the bow out, but thats with it being behind my ear, not in front of me. to get the peep sight lined up, i had to
    let my pulling arm go forward quite a bit which make my arm shake quite a bit.

also would like to add that I really appreciate all the help that you all are providing.

bow1.jpgbow2.jpgbow3.jpgbow4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default bow strings?

i have #4 cams... could it possibly be string length that is the problem? he put a 59in. string on it, as i said the sticker didn't have any of the info on it, so he tried 2, a short one, and then a 59 in one.

Post Thanks / Like

OK your draw should be around 27 to 27.5 max...give us some time to find out cam#'s for sure. My gut says we should shoot for 27" max. bfisher may be able to get closer w/ cam ID.