Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Cats

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ehunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southeast Kansas
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Cats

    Not sure what year it was, but I'm guessing about 2004-5. I was sitting in my favorite tree stand that overlooks a tractor path on one side, and a crop field on the other. Alot of deer use this path moving from one place to the other, and across properties. There was a scrape line running down the tractor path for about 200 yards. I had one scrape about 25 yards away, another about 40 yards down the trail. Every Sat. morning I'd go out, throw some juice in the nearest scrape, and climb into my tree. One morning, just as it was getting to be shooting light, a bobcat walked out of the creek bottom right up to the scrape I had sweetened. It "relieved" itself, then began tearing up the ground in the scrape. Then started jumping up and clawing at the licking branches. I thought it rather funny, and watched this go on for a good 10 minutes. Then it just casually walked back into the creek bottom. Didn't see a deer one that morning. The following Sat, the exact same thing happened. Refreshed the scrape, climbed up, and at first light, here comes the bobcat. Peeing in the scrape, clawing at the ground and branches, then just walks off. Again, no deer show up. The next weekend, I follow the same routine, freshen the scrape, climb up, and wait. Again, here comes the bobcat. He pees, claws around, tears at the branches, and finally stops. He walks off about 5 yards and turns to look over his handywork. I let lose with a perfect shot, and he takes off. Runs to the nearest tree, climbs about 5 feet up, and falls back down dead. I waited about 15 minutes, then walked over to where he was laying. Nice looking cat, so I took him to the taxidermist. The following weekend, without the imminent threat of bobcat attack, the deer were back. I shot a nice 140 class 8 pointer out of that same tree that Sat. morning.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

    Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    without the imminent threat of bobcat attack, the deer were back.
    So you got to shoot something and it improved deer hunting as well?

    Any photo's of the cat?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Speedykills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Posts
    991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Not sure what year it was, but I'm guessing about 2004-5. I was sitting in my favorite tree stand that overlooks a tractor path on one side, and a crop field on the other. Alot of deer use this path moving from one place to the other, and across properties. There was a scrape line running down the tractor path for about 200 yards. I had one scrape about 25 yards away, another about 40 yards down the trail. Every Sat. morning I'd go out, throw some juice in the nearest scrape, and climb into my tree. One morning, just as it was getting to be shooting light, a bobcat walked out of the creek bottom right up to the scrape I had sweetened. It "relieved" itself, then began tearing up the ground in the scrape. Then started jumping up and clawing at the licking branches. I thought it rather funny, and watched this go on for a good 10 minutes. Then it just casually walked back into the creek bottom. Didn't see a deer one that morning. The following Sat, the exact same thing happened. Refreshed the scrape, climbed up, and at first light, here comes the bobcat. Peeing in the scrape, clawing at the ground and branches, then just walks off. Again, no deer show up. The next weekend, I follow the same routine, freshen the scrape, climb up, and wait. Again, here comes the bobcat. He pees, claws around, tears at the branches, and finally stops. He walks off about 5 yards and turns to look over his handywork. I let lose with a perfect shot, and he takes off. Runs to the nearest tree, climbs about 5 feet up, and falls back down dead. I waited about 15 minutes, then walked over to where he was laying. Nice looking cat, so I took him to the taxidermist. The following weekend, without the imminent threat of bobcat attack, the deer were back. I shot a nice 140 class 8 pointer out of that same tree that Sat. morning.
    Thats a good story,my story is just oppisite of your's.

  4. #4
    Senior Member gravedigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    forest grove,oregon
    Posts
    3,594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    here kitty,kitty,kitty,thawap....down an dead.i lik it

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ehunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southeast Kansas
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Tried to put a pic with the story, but for some reson, I couldn't. Hopefully it works this time. lol I had it mounted like this so I can move it around the house, and just lay it on any flat surface. It's good for keeping my friends on guard. Seeing it on the couch one time, then on the back of the toilet tank next time, etc. lol 100_0626.JPG
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

    Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

  6. #6
    Senior Member elkslayer4x5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lane County, Oregon
    Posts
    2,790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nice story with a great ending. I do have one question tho, why did'nt you shoot the bobcat the first time you saw it? On my most wanted list, but have never seen one while bow was in hand.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ehunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southeast Kansas
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Elk, bobcat season wasn't open the first two weekends. lol As soon as it was though, WHACK! Plus, I didn't have the proper license. In Kansas, you have to have a furbearers license to shoot a bobcat or trap one. Only $11 so now I get one every year. I have seen several bobcat on this property, but only two have ever been close enough to try a shot at. This is the only one I have shot at. I'd still like to have one mounted in a walking position. That could be good coming out from behind the couch..........lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

    Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Simple Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Up here
    Posts
    999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nice Cat and story EHunter.Like you,we have to have a Furbearers lic to hunt them.I have seen a few hit by cars on the highway and it has been so tempting to pick one up and throw it in the trunk.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    It's good for keeping my friends on guard. Seeing it on the couch one time, then on the back of the toilet tank next time, etc. lol
    LOL!

    Its bigger than our puddy cats. We have nothing like that here, except for the 'panther' .

  10. #10
    Senior Member gravedigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    forest grove,oregon
    Posts
    3,594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    LOL!

    except for the 'panther' .
    not the kind of cat i would mees with.we have cougars and bob cats,i wont mess with the cougars

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •