Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New String and Peep "Opportunities" (problems)

Post Thanks / Like

Default New String and Peep "Opportunities" (problems)

Ok fellow friends,

I posted previously that I installed a new string and cable on my Firecat. Have a question(s) for you, first shot some arrows (approx 50) thru the bow and installed peep. The peep was aligned with my d-loop, but was slightly offset to the right a little. I shot it and was placing bullet holes at 20yds. I wanted to have the peep perfectly inline so I took the string off and twisted to align the peep. I pulled back the string and let down. This actually made it worse, therefore I twisted some more and drew and let down again and the peep roatated 180 degrees. I'm starting to freak out a bit but kept my kool and dinked some more with it. The final result is that my peep is offset about 45 degrees to my left and when I draw back it actually squares up with my eye. Is this normal? (I shoot left handed) Do I need to shoot the bow more to settle the string in and then redo the peep? The peep and dloop on my Primal align up perfectly and no rotation when I draw back, but this bow has speed nocks, which I have read helps with peep alignment. Need some advise if you have some. The bow is shooting great, but the peep is offset but rotates to square up when drawing back. Need some advice. Thanks,
    2010 Firecat TR1/MBG AMP 4-pin/Treelimb Quiver/6" Doinker Chubby/WB/ GT Ultralights
    2010 Quest Primal/MBG AMP 3-pin/Treelimb Quiver/3" Doinker Chubby/Trophey Taker/ GT Expeditions
    formerly = "Oncechance"

Post Thanks / Like

As long as when you say " twisted to align peep " and " I twisted some more" you don't mean a whole bunch...then some peep rotation at draw is normal. As far as the string settling, what type did you put on?
    Tension on the twists of the string at draw will roll (rotate) the peep. Did you twist w/ the direction of the twists in the string?
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjchasman View Post
    As long as when you say " twisted to align peep " and " I twisted some more" you don't mean a whole bunch...then some peep rotation at draw is normal. As far as the string settling, what type did you put on?
    Tension on the twists of the string at draw will roll (rotate) the peep. Did you twist w/ the direction of the twists in the string?
    No, I didn't twist much at all. The strings were from H&M custom strings, which are made from BCY 452. Yes, I did twist in the same direction in the string. Hope this helps.
    2010 Firecat TR1/MBG AMP 4-pin/Treelimb Quiver/6" Doinker Chubby/WB/ GT Ultralights
    2010 Quest Primal/MBG AMP 3-pin/Treelimb Quiver/3" Doinker Chubby/Trophey Taker/ GT Expeditions
    formerly = "Oncechance"

Post Thanks / Like

Did you go out and shoot some arrows thru it after each time you fiddled with it??

Post Thanks / Like

I would check my ATA measurement and proceed to enjoy. Like I said, I believe a little rotation is normal during the draw. If the ata is too short than there are too many twists; but it sounds like your OK to go.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Did you go out and shoot some arrows thru it after each time you fiddled with it??
    Yes I did and it was shooting bullets at 20yds (that all the room I have to shoot in backyard).
    formerly = "Oncechance"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjchasman View Post
    I would check my ATA measurement and proceed to enjoy. Like I said, I believe a little rotation is normal during the draw. If the ata is too short than there are too many twists; but it sounds like your OK to go.
    Yes, everything is within specs and tolerances.

Thanks,
    formerly = "Oncechance"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    First, a peep a tad off doesn't necessarily need the string twisted. You can "teach" it to behave. Hold center serving or loop (have straight to begin with) and then twist the peep in which ever direction needed. Don't be gently about it. Be aggressive as you can always bring it back.

When twisting the string, twist from the bottom for a finer adjustment. What it is, is the distance is longer from the bottom cam to peep than from the top cam to peep.

Strings don't always behave, not even the best....whatever the best is. Fine tuning my peep (with .046" opening you better fine tune) I adjust as I want and fire 5 to a dozen shots to see if the peep will move as desired and staff in position. It's a back forth thing and always straightening the loop to the peep.

AND! Said above; As long as the peep comes straight to shoot you're good to go. Both my Shadowcat and ProElite have the peep slight right with bow at rest. Drawn, they are right there.
    Good stuff here! Thanks,
    formerly = "Oncechance"

Post Thanks / Like

Both my Slayers are as you describe, when at rest the peep is slightly out of line, but align perfectly when drawn.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    First, a peep a tad off doesn't necessarily need the string twisted. You can "teach" it to behave. Hold center serving or loop (have straight to begin with) and then twist the peep in which ever direction needed. Don't be gently about it. Be aggressive as you can always bring it back.

When twisting the string, twist from the bottom for a finer adjustment. What it is, is the distance is longer from the bottom cam to peep than from the top cam to peep.

Strings don't always behave, not even the best....whatever the best is. Fine tuning my peep (with .046" opening you better fine tune) I adjust as I want and fire 5 to a dozen shots to see if the peep will move as desired and staff in position. It's a back forth thing and always straightening the loop to the peep.

AND! Said above; As long as the peep comes straight to shoot you're good to go. Both my Shadowcat and ProElite have the peep slight right with bow at rest. Drawn, they are right there.
    Took the words out of my mouth! Quick tip, when "training" my peep I'll nock an arrow to hold the string straight then twist. You can also draw the bow, look at the peep, and then adjust (while drawn) with the corner of your mouth, assuming you're not over-bowed and pulling too much weight for you to hold. After a while the peep will "settle" and you won't have to mess with it. (As long as your strings are done stretching, otherwise you may have to adjust occasionally)
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps