Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Groups

Post Thanks / Like

MLN, It's what I've always heard, and from the deer I have field dressed, it seems to be pretty close. Might be a bit larger than that, but a 7 inch circle is a good guage. The heart is about the size of my fist, the lungs stick up above and behind the heart about the same distance, so maybe an 8-9 inch circle. Larger animals like elk go up to about 14 inches. Granted, the bigger the deer, the bigger the kill zone. The average I have shot the last few years have been over 250#, and they were roughly a 9 inch circle. Just hit them in the lower half, and watch them drop. Hit them high, and they'll take a while longer to drop, and leave far less of a blood trail.
    Last edited by Ehunter; 08-07-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, had a good day shooting today. Even had a couple 5 arrow two inch groups at twenty and thirty yards. The only problem is I am not consistant. I would turn around and have a four of five inch group right after a good close group. At least there all in the kill zone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaverd View Post
    Hey, had a good day shooting today. Even had a couple 5 arrow two inch groups at twenty and thirty yards. The only problem is I am not consistant. I would turn around and have a four of five inch group right after a good close group. At least there all in the kill zone.
    That's right, for us hunters, we just need to hit the kill zone.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaverd View Post
    The only problem is I am not consistant. I would turn around and have a four of five inch group right after a good close group.
    4" to 5" at 20 yards is a good average for most hunters so its not a bad thing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    That's right, for us hunters, we just need to hit the kill zone
    Good point, you need to be putting your arrows in the kill zone not worrying about group sizes. Its no good if your grouping 2" groups if its not where you need to hit.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 08-08-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to surprise yourself start with what you would consider your average max hunting distance, mine is about 22-25 yds. Put out a deer pattern target or a 3d deer, shoot from stand heigth if you are a tree stand hunter or use your blind or whatever your preference. Wear some hunting cloths and shoot one arrow; one arrow. Then realize that that is the shot you have to count on when the time comes. Live with it, think what could have made it better Don't forget that you generally knew at what distance the target stood. We started doing this at hunting camp and it makes you realize how important form is and a 3 or 4 shot warm up b4 taking to the woods. Groups are good but putting one where it has to go when the oppurtunity comes will keep the freezer full.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjchasman View Post
    If you want to surprise yourself start with what you would consider your average max hunting distance, mine is about 22-25 yds. Put out a deer pattern target or a 3d deer, shoot from stand heigth if you are a tree stand hunter or use your blind or whatever your preference. Wear some hunting cloths and shoot one arrow; one arrow. Then realize that that is the shot you have to count on when the time comes. Live with it, think what could have made it better Don't forget that you generally knew at what distance the target stood. We started doing this at hunting camp and it makes you realize how important form is and a 3 or 4 shot warm up b4 taking to the woods. Groups are good but putting one where it has to go when the oppurtunity comes will keep the freezer full.
    Good point Cj, that is why my treestand is up in the front yard.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I leave a treestand up all year long just for that purpose. About once a week, climb up, take ONE shot. Move the 3D deer target each time to an unknown distance, and different angle. I did finally get the FC400 shooting broadheads well, so now I can concentrate on that one shot.
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    I leave a treestand up all year long just for that purpose. About once a week, climb up, take ONE shot. Move the 3D deer target each time to an unknown distance, and different angle. I did finally get the FC400 shooting broadheads well, so now I can concentrate on that one shot.
    Wow sounds like you know what your doing. I'd do the same but I would have to borrow your 3d deer. I haven't been in my treestand but 2 or 3 times. It has a lot to do with the string making thing. But I won't let it stop me. I will start practicing once or twice a week soon.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Hutch, that's how I was taught to shoot guns. One shot on target. Plenty of practice shots afterwards, but one cold shot first. Practice until that one cold shot is right where you want it everytime. I figured that would transfer over to archery pretty well, so that's what I've always done. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd drag a few other tragets I have out to shoot at, but............lol
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely agree, I shoot at every different angle and through trees into a small block target. One shot is all it takes.

Hutch