Thread: My best buck ever,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default My best buck ever,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I killed this buck in 1981 near Sheridan, AR. He was only my second bow kill and probably my deer of a lifetime.

It was actually the luckiest kill I've ever made. After hunting a tree stand from sunrise until about 1pm and seeing nothing I started the long walk out to my Mothers house. I would scout a few locations along the way and often just stop at oppertune places to watch and listen.

As I approached an Ammonia Pipeline right of way from the East that ran N to S I stopped to look up and down to see what was going on. About 5 minutes after stopping there this buck stepped out of the woods on the W side about 80 yards N. I was stunned and if he had not done exactly what he did next I would of had no shot at him that day. He stood there surveying the surroundings much like I had been. After what seemed like a lifetime he crossed the Pipeline and turned S. While he very liesurely made his way S along the edge of the trees it was obvious he was oblivious to me and had been under no pressure. I was frozen and thinking 1000mph of what I could do. He was facing me and coming my way. I just knew if I moved he would be gone. PURE LUCK, about 20 yards before he got to me he stopped, looked around, turned W and crossed back over the Pipeline. As he trundled across the Pipeline I raised and slowly drew my Pearson 4400 Mag and hoped he would stop for just an instant. As he got to the middle of the right of way he turned slightly to the S and stopped. He looked S down the Pipeline and then turned his head to look N. He was nearly broadside looking away at 42 paces and I let that XX75 and 3 bladed Wasp go. It was like slow motion as that arrow reached him and passed thru exactly where I had aimed. Man, he tensed and bolted directly away to the W. I nearly fell out as the adrinalin hit me and let out several yells that were probably heard for miles.

Almost immediatly I went to where he was standing to try and pick up a blood trail. It wasn't hard, there was plenty of blood. I started looking for the arrow because I just knew it had passed thru. After a few minutes I gave up on the arrow and slowly set out after him. The blood trail was heavy and within 60 yds I had my buck. What I was looking at just blew me away. This is the stuff that hunters are made from. I've taken a few deer since then but none that compare to him.

Hope you don't mind the long winded post but I doubt I'll ever get tired of telling this story.

SkyChi

IMG_0064.jpgIMG_0061.jpgIMG_0062.jpg
    Last edited by SkyChi; 07-26-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Well done. A great story and a great buck.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on a Nice buck, sure is nice to be in the right place at the right time. Ever find that arrow?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

There was a good bit of luck involved for sure. Just not enough for him. I didn't ever look for that arrow again but I did spend a lot of time looking for his big brother. No luck with that but being there is half the fun for me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice buck!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a really nice buck. Good story to go along with it. A story and buck to really be proud of.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.