Thread: weird tuning fork sound coming from my idler wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Default weird tuning fork sound coming from my idler wheel.

i went out to shoot today,after about 3 weeks of not shooting and i was about 20 shots in....then i start hearing this tuning fork soun when i release.i thought i was my quiver so i took it off and nope thats not it.so i gave the limb forks a flick with my hand and it is just like a tuning for.the black bearing spacers are turning ez and they wernt moving at all when i put my bow down last.what parts would i need to fix this.that sound is just bothering me.i lost 2 arrows today because all i could think of was that sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you just need to add a couple thin spacers, and tighten things back up somewhat. I had the same thing on a bow of mine, and got some nylon washers at a local hardware store. Worked like a champ. Got them close to the right thickness, then sanded them down to what they needed to be.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

now thats an idea.i cant belive i did not think of it.thank.i will do that tomorrow.i cant go hunting with that tuning fork sound it is throwing me off big time,lol

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya GD. It's driving me crazy to shoot my FC with this cracking noise everytime I draw back. Only shot 4 arrows tonight, and I'd had enough.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on guys snap crackle pop,But anyway i wouldnt think the plastic would make that sound.Now i had e-clips do that i put some wax over them and that solved it.Wasnt a Martin bow but anyway try that.You can also put some on plastic washer's just to make sure it's them making the tuning fork sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    Come on guys snap crackle pop,But anyway i wouldnt think the plastic would make that sound.Now i had e-clips do that i put some wax over them and that solved it.Wasnt a Martin bow but anyway try that.You can also put some on plastic washer's just to make sure it's them making the tuning fork sound.
    i will toos soe wax on fist befor i tare anything dow.if that stops it and comes back i will just wax it good.i only need it to be quiet through my hunt and then i will find a perment fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    I hear ya GD. It's driving me crazy to shoot my FC with this cracking noise everytime I draw back. Only shot 4 arrows tonight, and I'd had enough.
    same here.i just about quit shooting today(not for good,just for the day) because of it.but i paid to shoot so i stuck it out.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Only shot 4 arrows tonight, and I'd had enough.
    Not sure if I should say this but after having trouble with my 2007 Pantera, I couldn't shoot it anymore because I was so nervous about it cracking again so I sold it. Any squeak, click or even a noise from elsewhere had me reacting like I had target panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    i had e-clips do that i put some wax over them and that solved it.
    Good idea, silicone works too.

Post Thanks / Like

well darn,i left my tools at work and i cant find my string wax.looks like it will be another day befor i can get rid of the thwang sound

Post Thanks / Like

Default You've brought up a good point, gravediggermtv.....

Hey gravediggermtv,
    You've brought up a good point, perhaps without meaning to. We run many, many thousands of arrows through our bows, often with little to no maintenance. Occasionally, a plastic spacer will finally wear to the point that we get a little noise and the fix is cheap and quick.....and we're back on the firing line again, launching untold thousands of arrows down range. Our bows are often paragons of dependable performance, needing but a modicum of care to run at peak performance. Just a thought.....what other device can launch those deadly missiles at such high speeds with this type of incredibly dependable service. Just thought that I'd use this opportunity to salute the quality of the bows that the industry provides us. Now, if I can only get a job at Martin.......