Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: String Silencing

Post Thanks / Like

Default String Silencing

When I first got my bow (used) previous owner had leeches installed. I opted to swap those out for Whiskers. I know there is a monster debate on which is more effective and which will provide the smaller loss in string speed. This got me to poking around and thinking about what is out there. Came across a post on AT where someone said for Solo Cams, like mine, you would only need 1 whisker at the bottom. Would that be true? I currently have a top and bottom tied in.

This then got me thinking about the Monkey Tails that Mathews uses with their bows. They run a solo tail on the string at the bottom and then a pair top/bottom on the split cable.

A friend shoots the Z7 with tails right now and he really likes them. They seem super easy to install since they just wrap around the string in place of splitting them. I think the benefit to that vs the traditional leech is if it were to break/cut/whatever - you wouldn't need to press the bow to get it out. Just unwrap it and put another on.

I guess what this is coming down to is, if you can effectively keep the string noise down while not losing much speed would you do that? With the whisker, if I were to remove the top set and still keep good noise reduction, might be able to pick up a little more speed, though in the grand scheme of things, it probably wouldn't be noticeable, you never know I guess.
    Last edited by droppixel; 07-26-2011 at 06:33 PM.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    you would only need 1 whisker at the bottom.
    I only use one on single cam bows because its enough and it keeps the speed loss to a minimum, like I mentioned in the other thread.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

all I've got on my Cheetah is a piece of a bowjax that I cut to 1/4"w x 1/2"L. That with my SOS, makes it plenty quiet. No twang at all. I don't even need the limb savers anymore. The arrow hitting the target is louder than the bow at the shot
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

It's the golf ball cat whiskers on my hunting bow, like I've read here before, 'if it aint broke....."
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    I only use one on single cam bows because its enough and it keeps the speed loss to a minimum, like I mentioned in the other thread.
    Was that you in the AT thread?? If so, +1

I need to get on a chrono to find out where I am at right now and then I could pull the top one out and see where it takes me - if it isn't that much of a difference, I'll go with the double again when I put my new string on just for looks

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Was that you in the AT thread?
    Don't think so, I was talking about another thread here on this forum http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...6-Cat-Whiskers

Post Thanks / Like

If you are that concerned about noise use a heavier arrow. You'll lose speed but your bow will be very quiet.
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    If you are that concerned about noise use a heavier arrow. You'll lose speed but your bow will be very quiet.
    x2 speed ain't everything.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post

Hutch
    I totally agree here, what I am looking for is that happy medium. If I can pick up speed while not losing or sacrificing silence, then I'll give it a try. If I have to lose speed to gain silence, sign me up. If I can get a good balance between the two - that is all the better.

Heavier arrow wise, I am going to consider it after this season and see how these Velocity 400s do - could look into the 300s if I tweak a few things with the bow. The GT Kinetics also have caught my attention.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Not everything but noise isn't everything as well.