Thread: Carbon or Alluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carbon or Alluminum

I recently purchased a used Martin High-Speed. Can I shoot carbon arrows safley. I was wondering if they might be to light for the bow and maybe even cause damage to the limbs.

Post Thanks / Like

With my relatively limited experience i'd say that the carbon arrows can't harm your bow. Just make sure that they are at least 10 grain per pound of DW. But i shoot only alluminium arrows with my traditional bows - they are much more silent then the carbon ones and kind of feel better for me.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

I was shooting aluminums for awhile but kept bending them, my fault not the arrow. Decided to try some carbons and at a friends suggestion, tryed some beman mfx arrows. Using 400 shafts with 100 grain inserts and 125 points. Arrows weigh in at 540 grains with 5" feathers, shoot great for me. If you are happy shooting aluminum there is no reason to change, just enjoy shooting that new bow.
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Just make sure that they are at least 10 grain per pound of DW.
    Agree, its very important not to shoot light carbons but that makes your choice of shaft a bit more difficult. I won't shoot carbons in any traditional bow except modern ILF bows.

Alloy's are much nicer to shoot and are easier on the bow, that is why they make less noise.

And welcome to the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

Thank you all. I am somewhat knew to archery. I had been shooting an old BP 30# long bow and decided a couple years ago to move up to something bigger that I can hunt with. I got carbons because I kept bending my alluminum arrows. However, I am getting better and this is not so much a problem any longer. My comfort range is only about 30 yards as of now. I am amazed with how fast the carbons fly. I finally drew out for a mule deer bow hunt in September and I am trying to get ready.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaverd View Post
    I finally drew out for a mule deer bow hunt in September and I am trying to get ready.
    Hope you are successful, good luck!

Btw, what broadheads are you going to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Hope you are successful, good luck!

Btw, what broadheads are you going to use?

I am using a 100gr. 3-blade Thunderhead. I hope it does the job.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaverd View Post
    I am using a 100gr. 3-blade Thunderhead.
    Probably wouldn't be my first choice, I'd prefer a cut on impact head like Muzzy Phantoms, Magnus Buzz Cut's or Snuffer 3 blade, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Probably wouldn't be my first choice, I'd prefer a cut on impact head like Muzzy Phantoms, Magnus Buzz Cut's or Snuffer 3 blade, etc.
    I have not killed anything with a bow yet and I hope to remedy that soon. I was also looking at maybe using a two blade broadhead in the future. What are the gains/losses of 2, 3, and 4 blade broadheads.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing will out penetrate a sharp two blade cut on impact head.