Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: feathers or vanes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vanes or Feathers? How about both?

I do love feathers for accuracy and I just love the way they fly. I would like to try some flu flu's because the sound they make in flight is just so cool. Just ordered some blazers last night to try out. I don't subscribe to the trad only or compound only or release or fingers or whatever. I like bows and arrows in any flavor and would like to try it all, long bows, target bows, recurves, no curves, parallel, straight or whatever.

Feathers or vanes, try them all, vanes are great for bad weather although there are just as many arguments for feathers in bad weather. Man shoot them all. Enjoy this discipline and sport and learn from every aspect of it. I won't shoot my feathers where there is any chance of the arrow going in the target up to the fletch. Won't do it. I will shoot vanes at anything. I love my feathers and I am protective of them. Vanes are pretty but feathers are beautiful.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peace View Post
    Vanes are pretty but feathers are beautiful.
    Feathers are but vanes for me are not pretty at all, more 'workman' like.

Post Thanks / Like

I am seeing arrows with crest on them. Are crest just for looks or is there a function of them? I guess it might be easier to find arrows with them on.
    Last edited by shaverd; 08-11-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Mostly for looks, personal touch. Was used sometimes to help identify your arrows if you were shooting with others with the same colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Cresting is a throw-back to long ago when archers sent a thousand arrows into the enemy. Some of the arrows could be recovered later and shot again. I'd be careful shooting Blazers. They have a high profile and are stiffer than other types of vanes. I had trouble with them shooting off an elevated rest. Feathers are way better for traditional style (except maybe when it rains).

mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Feathers

Best reason to use feathers over vanes is their better stabilizing effect because of their increased drag. 'Back in the day' when vanes first came on the scene, most cound'nt shoot 'em because their finger release was'nt 'clean' enough. Because of the feathers better stearing capibilitys, when my son and I set up the Grandson's and G Granddaughter's equipment this year, we used Gateway Razors, knowing that it would give them better flight and more control over the broadhead. Also gives a better FOC. Plenty of products avaible to keep your feathers dry. But, even without, brush the feather backwards, whip the arrow around a few times and brush them back in place, and shoot 'em.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade