Thread: wrist straps?

wrenches

Default wrist straps?

I hear everyone talking about these wrist straps. what aspect of shooting a bow does this help with. i am new to shooting bows so there may be more dumb questions to follow!!!!!

Bubba101st

The wrist strap that is attached to the bow is there to keep the bow from jumping out of your hand. Keeping it from falling to the ground/floor. I have a friend that refuses to put on on his bow and I have seen him drop his bow twice. It could get really ugly if or when stuff starts to break.

mysnake12

Not to start a big controversy on this subject, however there are lots of pros and cons...to explain better...it is kind of like shooting a gun...you always squeeze the trigger never pull.....with bows...you never grip the riser handle because of torque you place on the handle, on the other hand....a open hand may also cause inconsistent torque depending on angle of shot...so I grasp the bow, not grip, and like all things... this might have its drawbacks???? However, if you choose open hand, I will agree with the "bubba101st" that a wrist strap will save you a lot of heartache!!!! But, for what it is worth, try it both ways and find the most consistent shot placement for your style of shooting....open hand or grasping will both work....I have just found that in a vertically challenged shot that grasping works best for me...just my opinion, K?

wrenches

thanks for the info. I have just been grasping the grip instead of useing an open hand because i did fin it to work better.

Post Thanks / Like

Grasping is one of the worst things you can do when shooting a bow. Eventually you start grasping the bow before the arrow leaves the bow, causing torque, which adversely affect accuracy. It can also lead to target panic, which you definitely don't want--believe me.

Actually, if you shoot a bow properly or nearly so, there is no way to grip or grasp. The bow hand should be at about a 40 degree angle with the riser on the meat of the thumb. The fingers should not be held open or tense. The bow hand should be totally relaxed.

Herein is the reason for the wrist sling. At the shot you just let the bow do what it wants to do. You shoot the bow. Let the bow shoot the arrow. The only thing you should be thinking about is aiming. Keep aiming till the arrow hits it's mark. It's kinda like shooting a gun. You aim and squeeze, with the mind staying in the aiming mode. You shoot the gun. Let the gun shoot the bullet.

I would suggest you walk on over to www.archerytalk.com and join up there. There are some very good pics by a guy called "Nuts&Bolts" that help with what I have been explaining here.

cdfirefighter1

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher
    Grasping is one of the worst things you can do when shooting a bow. Eventually you start grasping the bow before the arrow leaves the bow, causing torque, which adversely affect accuracy. It can also lead to target panic, which you definitely don't want--believe me.

Actually, if you shoot a bow properly or nearly so, there is no way to grip or grasp. The bow hand should be at about a 40 degree angle with the riser on the meat of the thumb. The fingers should not be held open or tense. The bow hand should be totally relaxed.

Herein is the reason for the wrist sling. At the shot you just let the bow do what it wants to do. You shoot the bow. Let the bow shoot the arrow. The only thing you should be thinking about is aiming. Keep aiming till the arrow hits it's mark. It's kinda like shooting a gun. You aim and squeeze, with the mind staying in the aiming mode. You shoot the gun. Let the gun shoot the bullet.

I would suggest you walk on over to www.archerytalk.com and join up there. There are some very good pics by a guy called "Nuts&Bolts" that help with what I have been explaining here.

What he said.... archerytalk.com is a great site with alot Of info on various subjects and you can get an answer to nearly any bow related question you may have.. there is a world on knowledge there

mysnake12

gosh, I said there was controversy....I am not telling anyone how to shoot...just sharing my personal success with accuracy...it is only a opinion...and when it comes to shooting guns, you said it right in the first part, squeeze the trigger...from there, you cannot control what a individual is going to do...they might flinch, twitch or bull the butt...who knows what may come??? That is the difference between a great shot and someone who has challenges to overcome!!! Same with bow shooting, there is a recommended way of shooting and I will agree that open hand is the most common method practiced...however, you still never mentioned what torque will do to a bow on exteme vertical shots...my point being...we can all compensate....however, I find nearly and I mean nearly no difference between shooting horizontal shots and vertical using the grasp method...it is all in self control like any other shooting method....if you flinch or twitch you are going to be inconsistent...I never grip the bow...I simply leave my hand in a cradled position which will not allow the riser to drop...so technically, I open hand a bow...get the picture...and NO, I have never had a desire to grip the bow anymore during the shot...that is simply the difference between a o.k. shot and consistently great shots!!!! Look, I am new to this website and appreciate you advise in going to another website "archerytalk" I believe is correct!!! But while you are on this website...I can assure you if you go to photos and click on my photo entry "old friends last" you will see a turkey I took at 47 yards with my old Martin bow through the neck...under pressure have shot...we are not talking targets here...and I made it happen because of my shooting style...it was actually probably a 70% up hill shot...and as consistent as ever I made the shot...Martin bows being a big help....however, if you shoot consistent...what does it really matter..."archery talk" or otherwise....by the way...if you where wondering about the rifle shooting thing...I have taken a elk at 750 yards with a 30.06 in one shot....not bragging...just want you to know how seriously I take accuracy, no matter what I shoot...most people would say that was impossible...however, my life long hunting partner was with me and can verify the shot...including my turkey shot(with a bow)!!!! No matter what anyone tells you...testing and testing and testing your equipment is the only real way to know your true capabilities...shooting or otherwise....and competition won't cut it....I have been there and done that...I am more critical of myself on a personal setting and especially in a hunting situation...the critters never stay put like a target...imagine that!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Snake,

Got you covered. In other words you don't really grasp the bow during the shot. You just don't let it fall. To expand a bit on shooting, as we all have heard, "You can't hit what you aren't aiming at". In other words that's all the conscious mind should be doing. The rest just happens.

Generally, we are in agreement. And the reason I mention Archery Talk is that it is a Martin sponsored site with in excess of 60,000 members. There is a lot more help over there, whatever your questions may be. My intent was not to chase anybody away, but advise where the most help might be obtained.

See ya on Archery Talk.

Barry

mysnake12

Cool! Definitely be visiting that website!! Have a good one...may are arrows always hit the mark!!!