Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Martin Threshold

Post Thanks / Like

So,

I've finally been able to take my bow out for her maiden voyage, and oh what a voyage it has been. I took her out for the first time last week. I forgot my release at home, but figured I would just use fingers for a few to get a feel for the bow, and see how she shoots. After putting about 30 arrows through her I realized the first thing. The spring tension on the stock rest had to be adjusted. It was too light, and aluminum arrows were dropping it just enough to cause me to be shooting low. It was driving me crazy as I was looking at the site thinking..."I just adjusted this what the hell?". Then it came to me. I was using a mixed bag of the 2 carbon fiber arrows the bow came with, and some Easton GameGetters. I think the problem started when I set the spring tension up using the carbon fiber arrow. I think the added weight of the aluminum arrow, albeit not that much, was enough to drop the rest. A little spring tension work later, and it's driving nails. Next up was the stock site.

While sighting in the bow I came to realize that the stock site is maybe par. Having to make every little adjustment with an allen key sucks. I did learn something years ago. A soapstone helps. I mark where the pieces met up, and then moved accordingly. Once I got the site pins where I wanted them I took a dremel tool, and marked all the parts locations, so I could strip it down, and be able to re-attach exactly where I was. Otherwise the site pins were very visible, and I had no other trouble.

I use a hip quiver when shooting at my local range, but I can say that field tips don't go into the quiver foam worth a damn. I ended up taking a drillbit and pilot drilling some small holes into the foam to hold the field tips and keep the arrows from wanted to just flop out. Otherwise it serves it's purpose just fine. It clips on and off with little effort.

The last problem I ran into happened to me yesterday. I had a D-loop put on as you can see from my pictures. Remember, the first time I went out I was using a glove. Yesterday I found my release and went back out. On the VERY FIRST PULL the d-loop snapped off the string at about 85% draw. Thankfully, I draw pretty straight back, so the worst thing that happened was I buried an arrow into the 4x4 post that was holding up the target. No, it's not coming out without a hammer and chisel. Drove that sucker right in there. I cursed at the d-loop, and slapped a nock on the string. For the rest of the afternoon I was shooting with one nock. Arrow above it, release below it.

Overall, I think the bow works flawlessly. It's a tad on the heavy side, but not overly. I wouldn't want to shoot competitively with it for that fact. It is quiet too. The cams worked fine. The strings, and serving were all in top shape. I didn't have a single mechanical issue with the bow in the most bone stock application that I could. I would recommend this bow to any casual shooter/hunter out there. It shoots flat, and smooth. I added the stabilizer, whiskers, and a wrist strap, but otherwise I plan to keep shooting it in this manner. I will upgrade the rest when the stock one wears out, and replace the site when I feel the need. Again, as long as a pin is good at 20,30, and 40 yrds what else do you need?

I hoped this helped any people who are considering getting themselves a Martin Threshold. I know this bow has brought back the love of shooting for me, and I'm already talking to someone on craigslist about picking up another Martin. Nice work Martin, and thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Last edited by automated; 09-14-2011 at 04:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

good read and happy to hear the bow is working out for you.sucks about the D-loop,rub wax on the loop befor you tie it in and it should hold.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I think I'm going to take the bow back to the guy who did the work and ask him to do it again the right way. I was a little concerned when he did the work because the knots didn't look like they were going to hold up. When I was shooting back in the day there were no D-loops, so this was my first experience with them. I'm considering not going back to the loop, and just using the string as I used to. Not sure what the actual advantage a d-loop has over not having one. I'm guessing it is to protect the serving.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see the threshold is working good for you.

Post Thanks / Like

got my first bow kill with my threshold last week. arrow passed through at 25 yds. deer only made it 50 or 60 yds from point of impact. awesome bow.