Thread: How do you properly measure strings for a Browning Cobra?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you properly measure strings for a Browning Cobra?

I have a Browning Cobra Recurve bow my father gave to me. It still has the original strings on it. He bought it years ago while he was a instructor in the U.S Navy over in Great Lakes. He took it out to hunt camp several times but never took a critter with it, just a lot of empty beer cans. My interest was peeked again when I received a catalog from 3 rivers archery on Trad bows and accessories. I did call 3 river but the order department had no clue as to measure for some Flemish strings. The Bow techs will be back Monday. I figured that I would post here before I made an order. I would like to get the bow shooting again, It's in great shape. I would like to shoot Trad too.
    It's a browning Cobra bow. My father bought it around 1972. It has the serial number on the side plus 50#, 50" a.mo.

What string length do I order?. Everyone keeps telling me to make sure it's Flemish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice bow!

The usual for recurve's is to use a string 4" shorter the AMO length if the string is measured in actual length. Some are measured as AMO so they are made to fit the AMO length.

Quote from 3riversarchery

If you don't know the length of your string a good rule of thumb is that longbows take a bow string 3" shorter than they're marked and a recurve takes a 4" shorter bowstring. So, if your bow is a recurve and is marked AMO 60", a 56" string should fit.
    Flemish or endless loop? Depends on what you want but you can't beat an endless loop string imho. Flemish are very popular because they look cool but I don't like the way they add weight to the ends.

Either way, don't use a fastflight string on that nice old bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Man that is one short bow! Gotta be a great shooter for someone to put sights on it. Some of the newer bows now are fastflight compatable, some anyway but not what you have. To much emphasis put on speed now days. Anyway, you will probably need a 46" string for the bow, but you should try and find as much info on the bow as you can. Brace height is important to know for the bow to shoot properly and with a bow that short I wouldn't want to guess on that. Flemish is usually what people go with. Let us know how things go for you, and thanks for sharing, sweet bow!
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

The suggested -4" of the 50" AMO is right on in my book but as you have the original string measure it and see where it is at and see how much it may have stretched from the 46" string length. If it is 46 plus then 46 is probably your correct string making length. If you can use Hutch on here whom makes strings. I prefer individual custom string builders as opposed to shops whom probably are ordering from individual custom string builders like Hutch. Cut out the middleman. I use Extreme Bowstrings presently for my compounds but have used others for my recurve.

I have two sets of strings for my present compound before I found out about Hutch.

When ordering for the recurve get a backup set since they are not expensive from most custom builders, but I don't know what Lancaster charges but I would prefer to deal directly with the string builder. Create the relationship.

Oh by the way that is a beautiful bow, should have good sentimental value and kept as a family heirloom.
    Last edited by peace; 07-30-2011 at 03:13 AM.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks for the info and kind words. I'm not getting rid of the bow. It's staying in the family. I'm not even sure if it will be good with a 28.5 DL. But I'm not worried. I can give it to my son. I would like to fling some Trad arrows down the range...but I bet I can't shoot my Fobs with it. Wink-Wink. I measured the old strings they are at 48 3/4".
    Last edited by Double S; 07-30-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    I'm not even sure if it will be good with a 28.5 DL.
    Shouldn't be a problem, pretty standard draw length.

I bet I can't shoot my Fobs with it. Wink-Wink.
    Dunno.....

I measured the old strings they are at 48 3/4".
    Is the brace height is good and the string is coming off the string groove well before it ends? Might have a longer string so it reduced the stacking.