Thread: Old problem: peep twist on new string

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old problem: peep twist on new string

i wasn't too sure how to phrase the title, but i think most know what i mean. i got a new set of Pro Line string and cables. they look really well done but i am having a bit of a problem. after shooting it a bit i tied the peep in and now, of course, it has rotated 1/8 turn. i HATE having to try to correct that. put it in the press, untie the peep, move some strings from one side to the other, take it out of the press, check it (it still ain't right of course) pack to the press...yada yada yada.

so is there) an easier fix? also, why boast of no stretch and no peep rotation on your AT threads when it ain't so? (at least in my case).

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think ive ever had a string that didnt rotate, as you ive jacked with that crap back and forth till im blue in the face.So now i just use a peep and tube problem solved...............

Post Thanks / Like

I've always placed the peep in the center of the string, equal number of strands on either side of the peep, and when it would come up 1/8 out of alignment, I would remove the string from the lower cam and correct. But all of my compounds are Nitrous camed and X rigged.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

do you ever try to just twist the string? put it in the press and take if off the cam peg and twist the eyelet of the string a few times.... that's how I got mine straight.....
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

Peep rotation can not only be caused by the way a string is made but by the way the peep is tied in. Unequal tension or distance from the peep either above or below it will result in some rotation. I never actually (serve) the peep in, I put 6-7 wraps above and the same below and then a couple around the peep itself, all done seperately. If you do each section of serving seperate, then you won't need to take it off to make adjustments. With 2 color strings, you don't want to flip strands from one side to the other, you actually want to twist/untwist the string a 1/2 turn at a time untill the peep settles in and stays straight. If you do your peep serving in 3 seperate sections, you can actually slide the sections above/below the peep to fine tune the position of the peep rotation to get it straight.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

there is some other posts in here about peep twist, but the key is to "train" your peep. When you first get the strings in and the peep set, it will have a tendancy to turn one way or the other. Just keep twisting the peep, while keeping ahold of the string. I tend to nock an arrow to keep the string straight, and just twist the peep with my fingers. You can also draw the bow, look through the peep and then use the corner of your mouth to adjust it left or right. After a while, the peep will "remember" where its supposed to stay and then you won't have to mess with it.

*note: on some strings, the training period will be longer as the string continues to stretch and "settle". Many or the newer string types have little to no creep once they're installed.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

If you are that close with your peep you can twist the d loop alittle in the same direction as the peep to get it in line when you draw the bow. It's worked for me after I got the peep as close as I could to being right on.
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Sonny, should have read your reply all the way through. I guess geat minds think alike lol
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.