Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOS Issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default SOS Issues

Been ripping my rubber stopper apart on my SOS. Got the bow in March and I'm on my third one. tried everything from a quarter inch off the string, more than that and right on the string. the only thing that seems to help is that I have put a small piece of foam behind the rubber to keep it from over stretching the rubber. The only problem now is that i have noticeable string noise. any one else got any suggestions or remedies?
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

I am not real familiar with the SOS setup.... but if it's anything like the STS... make sure that it is a good 1/8 inch away from your string at rest... that is Martin's recommended install, and I would assume that the SOS would have a similar install instruction.... ?? just a thought
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the string is lined up deadcenter on the SOS, if its slightly off center it will wear the SOS much faster. The string on my Onza is just lightly touching the SOS at rest.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

It is slightly off to one side. the only thing is that there isn't any left or right adjustment for the SOS.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wick View Post
    Been ripping my rubber stopper apart on my SOS. Got the bow in March and I'm on my third one. tried everything from a quarter inch off the string, more than that and right on the string. the only thing that seems to help is that I have put a small piece of foam behind the rubber to keep it from over stretching the rubber. The only problem now is that i have noticeable string noise. any one else got any suggestions or remedies?
    I thought alot of people were replacing them with cable rod and guide setup!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wick View Post
    It is slightly off to one side. the only thing is that there isn't any left or right adjustment for the SOS.
    The mounting holes on the SOS should be elongated to allow left to right adjustments of it. Loosen the 2 set screws that hold it in place and slide it untill centered and then retighten the scews, if the holes are actually holes and not slots, then you need to contact Martin about getting a replacement. You should be able to adjust it side to side. See the SOS on mine in the picture below, the holes are slotted.

markbow003-1.jpg

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid me, my bad. I should get the thing out of the case and look at it before writing next time. It's not that there isn't any left or right adjustment I'm just maxed out in the direction that it needs to go. Maybe another one will line up a little better. I noticed on that last post that there is foam behind the rubber. What material did you use? hows it working?
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

IDK what archer used, but I bought a little bit of foam weather strip for doors at Lowes for like $2. Cut a piece to fit, and have not tore a single SOS so far (knock on wood). My SOS is centered and you can barely see daylight between it and the string.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I actually had a spare SOS assembly that was given to me at the shop because someone didn't want it on his set up. Mounted it on my TRG and it still has to be maxed out to get it about 1/32 to a 64th off of center. not that noticeable but maybe enough to tear em up. Here's an old photo that I took of the set up, maybe you can see where the screws are at there max position. Since the photo was taken I've backed it off to the next set of holes to get it off the string a little more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue with mine, it ran out of adjustment and couldnt be put in the proper position. Took all of 2 months to rip it. Mine didnt rip in the center but at the far edge where it loops around the plastic. I scraped the whole thing, not going to keep buying rubbers for something that isnt designed to work more then 300 shots. Shipping will kill you by the way from martin. I payed I think 23 for the sos system, and something like 10 for shipping a part that weighed 4 oz. Save your money and frustration and buy a sims string decelerator, I absolutely love mine, and it quieted my bow twice as good as the sos. Huge difference! And now I can use a kisser if I choose to.
    Last edited by Ford; 08-01-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-