Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fletching glue

Post Thanks / Like

Default fletching glue

Yesterday I went to fletch and arrow and found my fletchtite was all dried up. I just used some supper glue I had here at the house. When I told my brother what I had done, he said I shouldn't have used supper glue. He said fletching glue is made to come off when needed and supper glue is not. Is this true. Does it matter what type of glue you use.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Lock-tite super glue gel Blue cap.And I have no problems with it.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loctite Super Glue Control Gel

Man, use what you got, the super glue will come off when you need it to. I just bought another bottle of Loctite Super Glue Control Gel for $2.97 while at Home Depot this afternoon to keep as a backup to the Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel that works great on fletchs. I use 5" feathers and 4" vanes. Works great, holds tight and drys clear and is a neater finish than fletchtite. Go for what you know. The bottles are great as applicators and keep the glue from drying up also.

Found this tip on the AT as many were claiming it hands over foot over the fletchtite.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Only use fletchtite these days , superglue is a lot harder to get of the shafts and you can stuff the shaft if your not careful. Downside to fletchtite is it takes longer to dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Regular super glues get brittle once they dry. Makes it harder to scrape the residue off the arrow when refletching. The gels may be better but call me old school. I have gone back to Fletchtite Platinum or Arrowmate NPV. They take longer to set, but I plan on living a long time so time is not the issue.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Supreme FletchRite

I think I'll buy one of those 55 gallon drums of Super Glue Gel and 25,000 plastic 6 oz. bottles and label my stuff Supreme Fletchrite An Arrows Best Friend The Ultimate bonding agent for all your archery needs. Specially formulated by the manner in which I fill the bottles to adhere to vanes, blazers or feathers on carbon, wood or aluminum. Nothing comes close and it is only $11.95 plus tax and shipping, included will be special instructions on how to use our special squeeze bottle and spread the adhesive on the quills plus the dot on front and back to avoid shearing.

Goes on smooth, drys clear and removes with any appropriate fletching tool. This stuff is even better than super glue. Give a few bottles away to some of the top pro shops and archers and see what happens. Yep! We have a winner...

For those that would like to use longer setting times we would just buy another 55 gallon drum of the super glue that takes longer to set. {Real Product} and call that Supreme Fletchrite Flex-Bond with longer setting times for the meticulous archer....hummmnnnn, That'll work.

To help establish branding and early distribution and archery credibility; this would be available at first in pro shops only....making it a very exclusive and highfalutin product. Ahh! the wonders of marketing in a free enterprise system.....
    Last edited by peace; 07-31-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Only use fletchtite these days , superglue is a lot harder to get of the shafts and you can stuff the shaft if your not careful. Downside to fletchtite is it takes longer to dry.
    I agree i only use plantium fletch tite made for arrows.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I guess I will expirement some. I want quality but less expensive always sounds nice to me. I will try using super glue gell.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    All my opened glues at home are kept in the refrigerator. Gives longer life. Just let warm up for use.
    I do not like how my fletchtite drys up in the bottle. It seems like I better have alot of arrows ready to fletch when I open a new bottle because the next time I need it its going to be dry.

I will try putting it in the refrigerator. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a common theme here; I've also been using Locktite Superglue Control Gel for a couple years now and have had no problems. If you read the bottle, it goes on easy, takes a little longer to dry, and is supposed to be flexible and shock resistant. I highly recommend.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a Bitzenburger jig Friday and it just arrived this Morning. This will be a first for me I've never fletched arrows as I am a Fob user. I was tired of driving 80 miles to have the shop fletch arrows. I also bought some Steel Force beyond clean arrow cleaner, SF beyond bond cyanoarylate glue and Activator. My local hardware store had a sale on Permatex Ultra Bond super glue so I bought one of those. I'll be using some damaged arrows I keep around to see which glue I like.