Thread: Cheetah vs Bengal

Christian

Default Cheetah vs Bengal

I have heard alot of hype on the new 2007 Bengal. I have also heard that the 2007 Cheetah is just a shorter version of the Bengal. Then why isn't the Cheetah getting some hype? I was thinking of getting the Bengal but have heard that the Cheetah is a shorter versions (2"). If this is the case then why not get the shorter bow for treestand hunting? Or is this all just personal preferences? I'll stop now!!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Because people are starting to realize that a slightly longer bow is more accurate, all things being equal. Bow that are very short have a more accute string angle which makes it harder to shoot one's optimum draw length and stiff establish good, repeatable anchor points. That being said, the Bengal is still short. It's got better performance than the Cheetah and lord knows
    1 1/2" on each end doesn't make it any less maneuverable in a treetand.

For the reasons I've mentioned I got the Pantera/Nitrous X. It's almost 37" and I know I'll never miss a shot because of it's length. I might miss, but that's a completely different issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I might add that what you are hearing is not really hype. The Bengal, Cheetah, and Pantera have very similar characteristics to many bows costing almost double. And they come with the best customer service you'll ever get, should you need it.

Christian

Thanks BFisher,

Does that short of length make that much difference?

deanrm

I have shot the Pantera, Bengal and Cheetah. They all shoot very similar. The Pantera may have had the least amount of vibration, but that may have been due to the Limb Savers.

I bought a Cheetah, and I have not noticed any difficulty with accuracy. The reason I went with the Cheetah over the Bengal is the weight difference. I do a lot of spot and stalk hunting, and a lighter bow is nier to carry around.

One thing about the Cheetah that you should know, you will only get 29" maximum draw length, where you will get 30" with the Bengal. You may want to take that into consideration if you have a longer draw length.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Thanks BFisher,

Does that short of length make that much difference?
    IMO, yes. I'm only a little guy standing about 5'8" tall and shoot pretty close to 27". It varies from bow to bow. After shooting compounds for 34 years now I see the trend toward shorter bows as not the greatest thing. Way back "when" 48" to 50" was the norm.

With the ultra short bows string angle at full draw can become an issue, especially if you like to touch your nose to the string. To accomplish this guys have to shoot a bow that is too long on the draw, thus pulling their arms and shoulders out of alignment. Then they add a string loop and a release that is too long to make matters worse. This can definitely degrade a person's accuracy potential--not the bow's. The bow will always be accurate.

Today I still like a little longer bow, staying somewhere above 36" and usually closer to 38". It's a matter of recognizing what fits me and not compromising my form just to have a short bow. By the way, I've got a 32" custom built 2005 ShadowCat for hunting and it's not near as accurate in my hands as my 38" P3 or my new 36 3/4" Pantera, even though it has a brace height of 9 3/8". It does OK for hunting as shots are normally going to be within 30 yards. It just takes a little more work on my part to get the best out of the bow.

I'm not trying to dictate what you should get. Just making some suggestions based on decades of personal experience in shooting target, 3D, and hunting.

Dean brings up another good point. Weight. I prefer a little heavier bow just for the stability it renders. I do my hunting from a treestand. He has different needs and chose accordingly. You must do the same.

I would see if you can shoot them all and see what you think for yourself. Don't ask me what they draw and shoot like. Most guys get the MPro cam, but I shoot exclusively the NitrousX system on my bows. I'm not a single cam advocate and loved getting rid of the cable guard.

On another note, I think any of these three are some of the cream of the crop in value for 2007. You get a lot of modern technology and features for a mid-range price.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Barry

Myk

I think Bengal gets the attention because that's what's advertised. Average Joe goes into the store looking for the Bengal he saw in the magazine. Then if he doesn't like the length or the weight does he look to the Pantera or Cheetah.
    I can't imagine 32" being too long for anyone in a tree stand and you'd have to be pretty short for it to be too long for a ground hunter like me (anything under 36" is plenty good for me).

I think Bengal gets the advertising because it is the middle of the three. Close enough to either that someone wanting Pantera or Cheetah specs won't avoid going to the store to see the Bengal they saw in the ad.

slayer69

I have to agree with bfisher. A longer bow is more accurate and the Nitrous X system is the best on the market. That is why I picked the Slayer X. Best bow I have ever owned. If I miss, I know whos fault it is. I'm no expert, but here's advice I give to anyone. Buy the best bow that you can afford!! 99% of the time, people buy a cheaper bow and are not satisfied and end up buying a more expensive bow. They just ended up wasting their money in the first place. I've done it!! There's is probably nothing wrong with the Bengal, but try them all to see which one works the best for you.