Thread: Fuzon Cam Question

mkd

Default Fuzon Cam Question

I changed the draw length from 31.5 to 28 on a Martin Phantom and now I think the cam is under rotated. If it looks that way to anyone else could you explain to me how I can fix it. Thanks

Also is this normal for the string to be running that far out of the grove in the idler wheel. Thanks for any help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Myk

You set the cam timing with it set on the +1/2" post didn't you?
    That's the problem.
    You either need to untwist the cable or twist the string to reset the timing.

If the draw length is too long you need to twist the string. If the draw length is too short untwist the cable. It's quite possible you need to do a little bit of both.

You can make an arrow to check the draw length by measuring the brace height and adding 1 3/4". (Say 9" for this example.)
    Take a ruler using that number (9") at the string and note where the arrow crosses the rest. (Say 2".)
    Then if you use arrows longer or shorter than the bow's draw length add or subtract that to or from the number your rest crossed at (2").
    Measure back on an arrow and draw a line, that line should be right on the rest. (And it is on my Phantom IIs.)

I have my bow set on 29" but I use 28" arrows. My rest crosses at 2" so I subract 1" and draw a line 1" back on one of my arrows.

The amount the string is pulled from the idler depends on where you have the cable guard set. You don't need too much clearance, just enough that your vanes don't hit.
    My Phantom II Dyna is nowhere near what you have. I use normal profile vanes.

Post Thanks / Like

What you are looking at is not "undeer rotated" but "over rotated". Either way you understand that the cam is not in a good position.

Myk gives some detail about what to do, but just as a quick reference I'll explain it this way. The cam has an elongated machined cutout where the "Fusion" logo is sticking. If you put a straight edge along this cutout it should approximately parallel your string.

The situation you have here is short cables and/or long string.

mkd

First thanks for the reply second Here is a picture of my cable glide. Maybe you can see a problem with it. I changed to this one a while back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mkd

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    You set the cam timing with it set on the +1/2" post didn't you?
    That's the problem.
    You either need to untwist the cable or twist the string to reset the timing.

If the draw length is too long you need to twist the string. If the draw length is too short untwist the cable. It's quite possible you need to do a little bit of both.

You can make an arrow to check the draw length by measuring the brace height and adding 1 3/4". (Say 9" for this example.)
    Take a ruler using that number (9") at the string and note where the arrow crosses the rest. (Say 2".)
    Then if you use arrows longer or shorter than the bow's draw length add or subtract that to or from the number your rest crossed at (2").
    Measure back on an arrow and draw a line, that line should be right on the rest. (And it is on my Phantom IIs.)

I have my bow set on 29" but I use 28" arrows. My rest crosses at 2" so I subract 1" and draw a line 1" back on one of my arrows.

The amount the string is pulled from the idler depends on where you have the cable guard set. You don't need too much clearance, just enough that your vanes don't hit.
    My Phantom II Dyna is nowhere near what you have. I use normal profile vanes.

I PUT THE F2 DRAW MODS ON AND PUT THE CABLE ON THE #2 POST.

Myk

I mean previously when it was set for 31.5" someone had set the cam timing with it on a 1/2" post. Then when you moved it to the 0" post your timing did what it is now.
    You should set the timing with the cam on the 2 post and then leave it where it falls to use a 1/2" post. The half inch posts throw the timing off, but Martins aren't supposed to be that picky about timing.

That one's timing was probably a little off before you changed the post.

It's hard to say about your cable guard. It's turned out more than mine are but you may use fatter arrows or taller vanes than I do.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to tell from that pic about the cable slide. I'm wondering if the cables are crossing wrong. Like maybe the slide is on backwards. Like I said, it's hard to tell.

mkd

I got the cam close to being timed and it shoots alot better. Thanks for your input. The cable glide will be left where it is, I just noticed this when I changed draw length. So who knows how ling it was like that.