Thread: Scepter 4 and bowstring

field14

Default Scepter 4 and bowstring

I have a new Scepter 4 with Furious X cams and Elite limbs on it. I'm using the S modules on the cams and have the drawlength now set the way I want it. The Furious X CABLES are not the problem.

ONE BIG PROBLEM I'm having, however is the removal and putting back on the BOWSTRING in between the modules and onto the cam...talk about a tight fit (or so it seems).

Today, while adding some twists to the bowstring....I scuffed up the end loops of the bowstring trying and trying again to get the silly string on and off the posts.

It just so happens that I got it off...but sure don't know how...since like I said...my BRAND NEW bowstring has its end loops all scuffed and I"m afraid to shoot the bow much for fear of a bowstring failure.

WHAT IS THE TRICK TO GETTING THE STRING ON AND OFF THE CAM POSTS WITHOUT RUINING THE END LOOPS?

Anyone familiar with this little "glitch"...sure would be nice to be able to easily remove the bowstring without scuffing up the end loop servings or the loop itself.

field14

Myk

I push loops further on the post and that opens them up. Then I bend the loop and pull it off.

If you're actually cutting the serving you could polish the post with some 600 and 900 grit paper.

I'm not familiar with the Furious, at least it sounds better than dealing with twisting a string on a Fury-X which has the cable sharing the same post as the string.
    If you'd like to drop your S4 off at my house and leave it for a month or two I'm sure I could find some time to familiarize myself with it

field14

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    I push loops further on the post and that opens them up. Then I bend the loop and pull it off.

If you're actually cutting the serving you could polish the post with some 600 and 900 grit paper.

I'm not familiar with the Furious, at least it sounds better than dealing with twisting a string on a Fury-X which has the cable sharing the same post as the string.
    If you'd like to drop your S4 off at my house and leave it for a month or two I'm sure I could find some time to familiarize myself with it
    The FuriousX has a post separate for the bowstring...but it is an extremely tight fit to get the string on/of the post. Since I'm using the "S" modules, I tried loosening up the modules and sliding them around to get clearnace, but the "S" module is too small and won't rotate enough. Of course the module that NEEDS to be moved over is the one the axle goes thru, so I can't simply remove it and then put it back into place.

Somehow, the string DOES Come off easily..but by the time you finagle how it does come of...you've trashed the end loop serving. Doesn't look too perty right now, and i'm nervous as a cat pooping razor blades shooting the bow, cuz I don't know if I cut string strands as well.. Live and learn, but we'll get this figured out somehow.

I just needed to put in 9 twists into the bowstring to nail the DL exactly where I wanted it...which I managed to do...but the price....

Oh, Myk, you would like the S4...but I ain't gonna send it to ya...I'd never get it back! haha.

field14

Myk

I started making the anchor end of the cable loops larger than the standard 3/4" on my Nitrous-X to make it easier to adjust. I make the post loop ends smaller to fit the V of the loop into the string track better.
    Maybe making bigger loops (or having them made) for the Furious string would make it easier. If the dimensions are like the Fury there should be plenty of room between the post and the string track for a larger loop.

Digging my fingers into the posts on the Fury-X is not fun at all and I figured it was the same for the string on the Furious. I really haven't figured out any trick yet although needle nosed pliers have been tempting. That is part of the reason I decided on a Slayer Nitrous after getting my Scepter II Fury-X.

My Bengal had sharp posts. With the stock string it scuffed up the serving. With my string and Diamondback serving it sliced it cleanly like it was a razor blade and pieces of serving were falling off and unraveling.
    Neither string got any strands cut.
    If yours is the factory string that endloop serving is pretty tough stuff.

I'd guess that if your serving is staying together your strands of string are OK but if the serving is cut so much to get loose and is on the end with the tags it could allow the strands to slip even if the string is OK.

The S mods won't fit me without a very long loop and a change of form so you're bow is safe. I've tried going down in draw length and hated it. Although if I join the club and see you I am going to want to shoot it

field14

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    I started making the anchor end of the cable loops larger than the standard 3/4" on my Nitrous-X to make it easier to adjust. I make the post loop ends smaller to fit the V of the loop into the string track better.
    Maybe making bigger loops (or having them made) for the Furious string would make it easier. If the dimensions are like the Fury there should be plenty of room between the post and the string track for a larger loop.

Digging my fingers into the posts on the Fury-X is not fun at all and I figured it was the same for the string on the Furious. I really haven't figured out any trick yet although needle nosed pliers have been tempting. That is part of the reason I decided on a Slayer Nitrous after getting my Scepter II Fury-X.

My Bengal had sharp posts. With the stock string it scuffed up the serving. With my string and Diamondback serving it sliced it cleanly like it was a razor blade and pieces of serving were falling off and unraveling.
    Neither string got any strands cut.
    If yours is the factory string that endloop serving is pretty tough stuff.

I'd guess that if your serving is staying together your strands of string are OK but if the serving is cut so much to get loose and is on the end with the tags it could allow the strands to slip even if the string is OK.

The S mods won't fit me without a very long loop and a change of form so you're bow is safe. I've tried going down in draw length and hated it. Although if I join the club and see you I am going to want to shoot it
    Myk,
    Of course you can shoot my bow...it is set at just a tad under 27 1/2" AMO and seems to fit me like a glove. But as described above, I may have ruined my factory bowstring in getting it there, haha.

I'll try making those loops a little bigger when I order up my Stone Mountain strings this upcoming week...now that I know of some of the ins and outs of this FuriousX system. On one end, I was messing around trying to get the loop off the peg and it just came right out...but I haven't a clue what exactly I did to have it go so easy...at the other end...it wasn't that easy and by the time I got the right angle to the dangle...it had abraded the end loop serving pretty badly...all fuzzy, but doesn't appear to be cut; but worrisome just the same.

The bow is holding and shooting so well, I hate to mess with it; but I'll get everything measured and marked...so that duplication with the new Stone Mountain strings and cables will go easily...the only issue being to get the bowstring on without too many problems... I may just "pull " the cam and module, put on the string and then put the cam/module combo back on..that way I'm certain to not cause the abrasion.

Hopefully see you soon and you can shoot my S4.

field14