Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 saber se speed

MRHAPPY

Default 2006 saber se speed

hi, what type speeds are people getting with the martin saber se? i am at 65lbs with 350 gr arrow chrono at 294 and 293 ,can i go lower in arrow weight and still get good ke value for deer hunting?

Post Thanks / Like

You can, but there is no need to. You already have as much or more speed than any hunting bow needs. This produces a lot of kinetic energy. Way more than is necessary for any deer.

FYI I think you'll find that most hunting rigs produce speeds between 250 fps and 270 fps. You have much more than average.

I would be more concerned with how easily you can draw that bow. Make it easy on yourself. And be more concerned with how quiet it is. There isn't a bow made that can produce enough speed to counteract a deer jumping the string if they react to a noisy bow.

MRHAPPY

thanks for your input, that makes sense, anyone tried the mini extremes on the limb bolts? ive heard they are great for quietness? already have sts , limb savers also,does a bow normally get quieter when you go down in lbs of draw? say 65 to 60 etc?

Post Thanks / Like

I have mini extremes on my target bow. I wouldn't waste the money (I got mine for nothing). Your bow's probably pretty quiet now.

I assume your bow is a 55-70, as you are shooting it at 65#. My findings are that bows actually get a little more noisy the farther the weight is backed off. I guess it has something to do with the rigging not being as tight so it acts more like a rubber band, if you get my drift.

That doesn't mean it will be real loud. It just will have maybe a little more twang to the string and cables. Usually a good trade off if you are lowering the weight to something more comfortable.

It's kinda like the speed thing. I'm a speed freak myself, but there has to be some balance between speed and noise in a hunting bow, with quiet being more important than the last couple fps. In a target or 3D bow I could care less sbout quiet.

eelriver

Default Arrow weight

I have found if you shoot a little heavier arrow you can do more to quiet a bow than anything else. If you are shooting a 350 gr. arrow @ 294 your KE is approx. 67#

Take a 400 gr. arrow and move it at 280 fps and your KE is 69+ # The second setup will be much quieter, and your trajectory will still be plenty flat for a hunting scenario.

Just a suggestion.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eelriver View Post
    I have found if you shoot a little heavier arrow you can do more to quiet a bow than anything else. If you are shooting a 350 gr. arrow @ 294 your KE is approx. 67#

Take a 400 gr. arrow and move it at 280 fps and your KE is 69+ # The second setup will be much quieter, and your trajectory will still be plenty flat for a hunting scenario.

Just a suggestion.......
    And not a bad one, really.

One thing I like to point out is about kinetic energy. It's only a number. It has nothing to do with shot placement in the field. The time crunching numbers would be better well spent tuning your body and mind as you shoot.

eelriver

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    And not a bad one, really.

One thing I like to point out is about kinetic energy. It's only a number. It has nothing to do with shot placement in the field. The time crunching numbers would be better well spent tuning your body and mind as you shoot.
    SO true........It only takes 24-25 # of KE to kill a deer. People get too caught up in the numbers, and should spend more time developing consistency and accuracy at reasonable hunting yardages. (40 yds and less)

MRHAPPY

i took your advice dropped weight to 63 and also changed draw length from 28 to 27 ,(i think i might of been stretched some, only 5-10 and shorter arms, now i have a little bend in my left arm, is that ok? guess speed isnt everything huh?

MRHAPPY

think i lost alot of speed by dropping wt to 63 and draw length one inch?, how much bend in the arm is usually wanted ?

Post Thanks / Like

It's Ok to have a little bend in the arm, but I don't like much. In fact, I don't bend at all. I shoot straight, but relaxed. Try playing with it, possibly moving to 27 1/2" and see how this feels. Give it a week or two of shooting to allow your body to adjust to a new feel. The proof will be in how solid the bow aims at full draw. When you are nearing your optimum draw length the bow will get on target quicker and aim more solidly without much conscious effort from you.

Dropping 2# from the weight won't mean much, but if it feels a little more comfy for you then so be it.

Between the 2# weight drop and 1" in draw length you are probably seeing a speed loss of about 15 fps. Still plenty for most hunting. If you want to know the truth most people have a hard time getting into the mid 280's with a legal 3D setup. Especially with short draw lengths.

Keep playing around with things. That's what archery is about. Trying things and learning. It's not all about hunting. Answer this question for yourself. How many shots do you actually take during hunting season?