Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting ethics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hunting ethics

I'm gonna warn you, this is a rant. I was watching The Pursuit Channel on TV. A show called "Bloodlines" came on and they were rifle hunting deer in their home state of Missouri. The host and his wife were in an elevated blind. A nice buck walked out, she took a shot, and wounded the buck. Then they both had a nice laugh about it. Later in the show, the same buck came out again. The husband decided he was going to take a "neck shot", as he described it, at 326 yards. He missed. They laughed. Not once did they go look for the wounded deer. All they did was laugh about it on camera. As a hunter, this pi--ed me off severely. Why do they put trash like this on TV for everyone, anti-hunters included to see? It's irresponsible towards hunters to air this kind of crap. To the anti-hunters it makes all of us look like the two idiots on the show that are just out wounding game, and too lazy to go try to recover anything that doesn't just fall in it's tracks. "If that's what the professionals show on TV, you can only imagine what the average hunter is like!" Needless to say, I wrote to all of the sponsors and the CEO of the Pursuit Channel. I am currently waiting for their replies, but I'm not holding my breath. There should be a governing body that reviews all of the shows before they air, to make sure that the ethical hunters among us are represented in a good light. End of rant, but not the end of my anger.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me some of those TV hunters do not care about the animals,they can go to another guided hunt and try again,Just a job.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya ehunter that would piss me off to see that on tv. I would rather watch a show that educates me on how to hunt than just seeing a bunch of guys paid to shoot big rack deer in states I couldn't afford to hunt in.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Why do they put trash like this on TV for everyone, anti-hunters included to see?
    They don't have any brains. Bad enough it happens but someone is actually editing the video and saying its still ok for hunters to view, that is what burns me up. Happens in our local dvd's too, its almost like they want to get hunting banned, cause a fight when there is no reason too.

I wouldn't worry about the anti-hunters though, they see all hunting as cruel.

Post Thanks / Like

Destroyer, I hear ya. All the anti's think all hunting is cruel, but for a "hunting" show to put out something like this only helps PROVE the anti's stand. All they need is this one video clip to show, and they can fire up alot of people that weren't decisive about whether hunting was ok or not. If I wasn't a hunter and saw this, I'd be leaning towards banning hunting myself. Fortunately, I know there are good hunters out there.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand your anger and you'll get no arguement from me. I didn't quit hunting because of such stuff, but I have quit watching any and all hunting shows. Most are nothing but advertisements for the sponsors anyway. Sponsors are the ones paying for the TV time so you'd think they'd look on such activities as this as poor ethics and a bad reflection on the sponsors for paying to air it.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Rant On!!!

We have some real slob hunters no doubt. That's on TV, in real life gun hunters who show up in the woods sauced and poppin beer cans in the woods, cigarette stuck in their mouth, these guys turn me off before you even get to harvesting game. Litter everywhere they go, I be wanting to string them up just for littering, can't tell you what I would do for the ones that wound deer and laugh.

The woods and the open outdoors are a sacred cathedral to me and I take seriously the stewardship of it and the wildlife it supports. I don't put wildlife above mankind, but I do expect us to respect all that is given us and for us to show appreciation for the cycle of life. Yet I do have lowered expectations for the majority, it's just what life has taught me about human nature.

As for shows I don't watch any presently but I have some great Eastman DVD's with Cameron Hanes and Older Bow and gun hunting DVD's where commericial advertisements hadn't completely taken over. I have some good early Wensel stuff and I watch a lot of amateur bow hunts on youtube. Even Olympic Archery on youtube. The newer stuff turns me off, but Primos and Extreme Bulls is some good stuff. I am a junkie for good hunting videos, I even love my early Michael Waddell stuff, but his later stuff is too over the top for me. Even have early Drurys although I have no idea what they are doing now. Got every thing ever produced on Fred Bear and Howard Hill.

But all jokes aside there are some gems on youtube if you can get past some of the real crap. Some of the young amateurs are really producing some sincerely honest ethical stuff. I even have some early Kurt Gowdy stuff. I can't throw out my DVD's some of them are priceless. But I haven't bought anything new in 5 or 6 years.
    Last edited by peace; 08-02-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

i saw that episode this weekend. i was pissed,too. but did you realize that the wife actually hit the leg of that buck? they show it limping out of the woods across a small opening. the hubby said he's hit,he's limping.then takes a crack at it. stupid bastards.

the Pursuit channel is the only outdoor channel i get. there actually are good hunting shows on there that show good ethical hunters taking responsible shots and being respectful of their harves. not this bone collector whootin' n hollerin' crap. Wadell is a joke!
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    If I wasn't a hunter and saw this, I'd be leaning towards banning hunting myself.
    This is the majority today, especially with the way the mainstream media have been responsible for people being 'disconnected' from the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    they show it limping out of the woods across a small opening. the hubby said he's hit,he's limping.then takes a crack at it. stupid bastards.
    They might have included it because its about as good as they can do. That is the excuse out here, that its so hard to get it on film they have no choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a shame. The kind of thing that gives us all a bad name. Unfortunately we hear about this kind of thing way before you hear about the ethical hunter.

Another thing that bothers me about many of these shows is I see the hunter turn and cover the camera with their weapon. The guy holding the camera has got to be jumping out of his skin. I bet he isn't getting paid enough for hazerdous conditions.

It is nice when I see a show that does it right.