Thread: Upper cam twisted

Post Thanks / Like

Default Upper cam twisted

I just bought a 2010 Martin Cheetah. I guess i shoulda done more research on the problems of these bows. They seem to have some limb problems. I shot this bow at the archery shop where i bought it. Took it home and went to fine tune it. Realized that the upper cam is twisted. After my research it seems to be kinda common the martin has had bad limbs and problems with the acu trak cams. My question is, bow season is in 2 months, should i waste my time with gettin it fixed er sell out and go back to PSE?

Post Thanks / Like

Since the Cheetah is a single cam, what you are describing sounds like the idler wheel just has some lean to it. Pretty common problem with single cam bows and very easy to fix, the shop where you bought the bow really should have taken care of that before letting you leave with the bow. One side of the buss cable yoke just needs to have some twists put into it to straighten the idler, no big deal and only takes a few minutes to do. Take the bow back to them and have them correct it.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Its really that simple. So no need to call customer service. SWEET!!! Thanks i hope its really that simple.

Post Thanks / Like

acutrac is a good cam,that is what my 2010 bengal has on it and i think it is a very smooth draw and nce wall.

Post Thanks / Like

You could probably just back the limb bolts out enough to relax limbs and add a few twist if you didnt want to take it to a proshop.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Cheetah is a fine bow...although it won't win points with the fanboys!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    You could probably just back the limb bolts out enough to relax limbs and add a few twist if you didnt want to take it to a proshop.
    Really because if the bow shop let him leave before with idler lean enough that he thinks the cam is twisted then they probably don't want to take the 5 minutes to do this right. If he loosens the limb bolts about 10 to 12 turns and just with one hand puts a little pressure on the cam enough that the split cable ends loosen he can take them off and figure which side to tighten or loosen to get his idler wheel sitting straight.

There is a lot of negativity in bow shops and archery circles against Martin as they don't follow the crowds in much advertising, don't create all the hoopla yet, they just keep making great products at affordable prices and making a lot of bow parts and stuff for other brands.

If you ask to buy a Martin I will bet at least 90% of the time you will be steered toward at least 4 or 5 other brands. Martins are not for people whom follow crowds. They are loved by folks that like to do a lot of their own work, too.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gotboar View Post
    I just bought a 2010 Martin Cheetah. I guess i shoulda done more research on the problems of these bows. They seem to have some limb problems. I shot this bow at the archery shop where i bought it. Took it home and went to fine tune it. Realized that the upper cam is twisted. After my research it seems to be kinda common the martin has had bad limbs and problems with the acu trak cams. My question is, bow season is in 2 months, should i waste my time with gettin it fixed er sell out and go back to PSE?
    I had the same issue on my 2010... and yeah... it really is as simple as added or removing twists of the split cable.... it doesn't take much to take care of the issue, and you should be on your way! The best part about the whole ordeal.... you bought a Martin, therefore you have the BEST customer service of any bow company IMHO. I had some issues with my Cheetah... yes... but in just 8 days, I got basically a whole new bow back .... and it was such an easy process. I bought my bow from a shady guy off of ebay. It had cracked limbs, and a dinged idler wheel... I believe he knew it had all these issues and that's why he sold it like he did..... Martin STILL gave me full warranty, and I came out of the deal with new parts, ready to shoot.....
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gotboar View Post
    So no need to call customer service. SWEET!!!
    I would be calling customer service and get Martin to fix it. If it has bad lean and you add twists to the yoke to fix it you could end up with cracked limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Normal practice; Lay arrow across wheel parallel to the string.
    No reason to do this at all, the idler isn't inline with the cam.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 08-04-2011 at 03:03 PM.