Thread: Martin Saber Conversion

Kickapoo

Default Martin Saber Conversion

Hello.

I'm a college archer currently a proud owner of a blue martin saber bow. It's a great bow and I love shooting with it. My problem is when competition rolls around. For shooting a full fita, the saber is not as good as some of the other fancier bows out there. I know that it is my fault as well for not obtaining a high score, but i also feel that the bow can be slightly modified. Before buying the saber, I actually shot a hoyt ultratec. but anyways, here's my question:

Is it possible to convert to longer and higher poundage recurve style (elite or so) limbs and convert my dyna cam system to something more like the furious dual cam? i undertsand i'd need a new cable.

will such a conversion (if possible) change my let-off? I currently shoot with an 80% let-off and at only 50 pounds, that's barely anything so my back tension is lacking. The hoyt had a 65% let off and at less poundage, it still felt heavier.

all in all, sorry for a long post but i'd greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

machster670

Where to start, MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm The Saber is a pretty good platform to start with, much better than your giving it credit for! Sounds like you have a bad case bow envy. As far as making it better 2 things come to mind 1 have the bow properly tuned and 2 practice, practice, practice.
    I'm down to one bow right now and it's a little Orion, waiting to see the new line up from Rytra before I choose my next target/3D bow. And I score within 2 to 3 of what I did with my Cougar III shooting spots
    Just my 2 cents worth

Kickapoo

thanks for the advice.

i think bow envy is a big blocker to me, especially going down to a 350 dollar bow from a 1200 dollar bow.however, i don't think the saber was ever actually tuned to me, other than poundage and draw length. I'll go check out my pro-shop for tuning advice. Sadly enough, my archery team doesn't have a coach and i'm one of 2 compound shooters with about 20 recurvers. I'll see what happens, thanks.

machster670

I have seen many $1200. pieces of junk and $400. shootings wonders in my time. I have found with Martin Is there isn't a bad bow in the bunch. I have seen a guy at our club spend more money than it's worth on the latest and greatest and still can't robin hood an arrow if his life depended on it. there's another gentleman with and old recurve who can robin hood at will, guess who practices!!!!!
    Last edited by machster670; 06-12-2007 at 04:48 PM.