Thread: Tuning advice for Bengal

jdp1

Default Tuning advice for Bengal

I have a Bengal set at 68lbs, 29". Shooting a ICS hunter 400 with 100 grain tips and a WB deluxe rest. Initially shot at lower poundage to get the shoulder back in shape and was tuned well. Since increasing the poundage I can't seem to get things back in tune despite changing knock point/rest height etc. Just curious if anyone cares to offer up thoughts on this.
    Also, currently using a string loop and release.
    Currently knock height is 1/8" above center. Had the local proshop play around with it and ended up with the knock just over 3/4" above center. Neither paper tunes well and I continue to have fletching tearing about 1/2 to 1/4 inch above the point. Per Beman arrow spine is ok for this setup?
    Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly believe that at the length and weight your arrows are underspined. To confirm this all you have to do is turn the limbs down a turn or two and see if the arrow flight is better, or if the bow tunes more readily.

If it does then you'll have a choice to make. Either tune and shoot at the lower poundage or get stiffer arrows. Probably 340 spine would work OK. If it were me, I'd consider that the money is already spent for arrows and I go ahead and shoot the lower poundage. There is nothing wrong with it. There is nothing walking North America that 60-65# won't take care of.

If, down the road you need new arrows, and you will, then you could get some with a stiffer spine and retune with the weight somewhat higher.

Don't let your testosterone level get in the way. Many guys do. You should be able to draw the bow with ease. The MPro cam makes it so, too. But the fact is, the more and longer you can shoot the bow without straining whatsoever, the more accurate you'll be.

cdfirefighter1

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I honestly believe that at the length and weight your arrows are underspined. To confirm this all you have to do is turn the limbs down a turn or two and see if the arrow flight is better, or if the bow tunes more readily.

If it does then you'll have a choice to make. Either tune and shoot at the lower poundage or get stiffer arrows. Probably 340 spine would work OK. If it were me, I'd consider that the money is already spent for arrows and I go ahead and shoot the lower poundage. There is nothing wrong with it. There is nothing walking North America that 60-65# won't take care of.

If, down the road you need new arrows, and you will, then you could get some with a stiffer spine and retune with the weight somewhat higher.

Don't let your testosterone level get in the way. Many guys do. You should be able to draw the bow with ease. The MPro cam makes it so, too. But the fact is, the more and longer you can shoot the bow without straining whatsoever, the more accurate you'll be.
    I agree with bfisher that you may be underspined for your DW and DL.. im shooting 68# at 30" with 29" arrow and tune perfectly with a beman ics 340 spine arrow.. turn down your poundage and you should be ok as he said till you need new arrows..

jdp1

Default Thanks

Well, you were both right. Despite the "chart" saying that 400 was the correct weight, 340's shot bullet holes at the higher poundage. When I backed the limbs bolts down a full turn each, the 400's tuned right in as well.
    Appreciate the help.
    Darin

Post Thanks / Like

It's nice to be right once in while. Glad you got it straightened out. Now it's time to have some fun.

cdfirefighter1

glad we could be of help... have fun shooting...