Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Threshold??

Post Thanks / Like

The G5 peep is a good peep. I also use Tru Glo sights but I prefer the vertical 3 pin rather than the ones that are horizontal in the sight. (horizontal covers alot of the target in the sight in my opinion) Alot of what you're after you will have to decide if it's for you. A D loop is what you'll want if you're going to use a release. I have heard of some shooting from the string with a release, but I've heard alot of weird things that happen when doing that such as the arrow having a weird flight but then again, that's not the norm I don't think. D loop is the best option I would think. There are a few kids here that are 6' or taller even and your age so I get the picture. I would strongly recommend that you actually shoot the bow or at the least, be able to handle it and draw it back before buying one. Buying blind isn't the best idea unless you're willing to gamble. Basically, there are no "bad" bows out there. Sure there are a few that aren't as good as others in certain price ranges, but bows have come along way in a matter of 5 years even. Now it's all about speed. I'm not concerned with speed at all. In reality I'm only gonna take a 15-20yrd shot .... max of 60 feet!!! Why would one need all the speed to shoot 60'?? I don't know. As to how long a bow will last, well I don't think anyone can really confirm that. I've seen bows brand new fail in a matter of weeks. I've had one bow have limbs fail but it's a few years old and it is known to have this problem. Other bows I've owned ... no problems. Alot would have to do with how well you take care of it and avoiding the dreaded dry fire by yourself or someone else. It happens. I think Martin makes a good bow, I know they stand behind them and I really like the one I have. Although, there are others that are ready to shoot that come with good sights and such. Keep doing research before pulling the release on a purchase. Good luck in your quest for a NEW bow!!
    Last edited by NY_Bowhunter; 08-06-2011 at 09:34 PM.
    THIS SPACE IS RESERVED FOR WHEN I BECOME A STAFF SHOOTER!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Been researching for awhile but it doesnt seem that this bow is well known? I have only come upon 2 bad reviews.. And one was the cam was cutting the string after 12 shots which could be replaced by Martin so in reality only one... And before i buy i was going to see how much draw weight i could pull back.. I'm not to concerned with speed either just how comfortable it is then specs and stuff.. I have learned that comfort is key to sucess...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parkerd View Post
    Thanks! Been researching for awhile but it doesnt seem that this bow is well known? I have only come upon 2 bad reviews.. And one was the cam was cutting the string after 12 shots which could be replaced by Martin so in reality only one... And before i buy i was going to see how much draw weight i could pull back.. I'm not to concerned with speed either just how comfortable it is then specs and stuff.. I have learned that comfort is key to sucess...
    There are 3 or 4 members on here that own the Threshold, and I haven't heard about many problems with it.
    Welcome to the Martin Tech forum.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

You probably will out grow the bow and sell it for purchasing your next one before anything happens to the bow or you will pass it down to your sons or daughters. Martin makes and produces very substantial equipment that delivers a lot of bang for the buck. One of the bows in my sig is 16 years old and the other is eight. Both in great shape.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peace View Post
    You probably will out grow the bow and sell it for purchasing your next one before anything happens to the bow or you will pass it down to your sons or daughters. Martin makes and produces very substantial equipment that delivers a lot of bang for the buck. One of the bows in my sig is 16 years old and the other is eight. Both in great shape.
    Thanks, I like your sig

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome parkerd, It is nice to own a new bow! I started off with used bows. But I was blessed with a new one. I can understand why you would want to start off with a new one. It makes since to set a new one up to your own liking. Later you can expand by buying another new or used. The Threshold will do you well. I hope you enjoy it. The sport of archery is great and to me never boring.
    Again welcome to the forum1

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Next question.. I currently shoot a recurve and we have 4-5 Traditional bows.. My dad has been brainwashed that "TRAD" is the only way to bowhunt. I love shooting my recurve and will probably hunt with it this fall but i want something that looks special not a piece of laminated wood and B-50 Dacron i want something fast... So when i asked him if i could purchase the bow he told me he wasnt going to give me the money that i had put in the bank!! And asked " You have a perfectly fine bow why would you want to waste your money on something else"? I didn't say anything just walked off, i know at one point he wanted something better than what he had so why won't he let me buy something better than what i have? I don't know how to go explain to him that i want to shoot compound and hunt with it... He has told me the same story over and over "I shot at a turkey when i shot compound and i never found the turkey made me sick to my stomach" Is this the reason why he wont let me shoot compound because he may have had a bad shot? Could you guys help me on trying to explain to my father that i want to buy this bow really bad?!

Thanks,Parker

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Parker,I am not getting involved with you and your dad,but I hope you can work it out and get what you want.

SL
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parkerd View Post
    Next question.. I currently shoot a recurve and we have 4-5 Traditional bows.. My dad has been brainwashed that "TRAD" is the only way to bowhunt. I love shooting my recurve and will probably hunt with it this fall but i want something that looks special not a piece of laminated wood and B-50 Dacron i want something fast... So when i asked him if i could purchase the bow he told me he wasnt going to give me the money that i had put in the bank!! And asked " You have a perfectly fine bow why would you want to waste your money on something else"? I didn't say anything just walked off, i know at one point he wanted something better than what he had so why won't he let me buy something better than what i have? I don't know how to go explain to him that i want to shoot compound and hunt with it... He has told me the same story over and over "I shot at a turkey when i shot compound and i never found the turkey made me sick to my stomach" Is this the reason why he wont let me shoot compound because he may have had a bad shot? Could you guys help me on trying to explain to my father that i want to buy this bow really bad?!

Thanks,Parker
    Another welcome to the forum, Parker. As far as talking to your Dad, just show him this thread.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

If he saw this thread i probably wouldne be able to ever shoot again if you know what i mean.. Anyways my mom overheard us bickering and today ask me if i was still gonna buy i told her i dont know dad doesnt want me to then i explained my thoughts on why not.. Her response was, "I will talk to him about this later, it's your money if its junk which from the sounds of it, it isnt than you will learn a lesson. It could last you until you have enough money to upgrade and get a good bow" So i guess that means i can get it?? Lol