Thread: ALIEN X nocks on shooting string???

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ALIEN X nocks on shooting string???

I just recieved the Alien X that was up for sale on AT. It came with a set of new strings. The strings that were on it had 2 nocks on the top and 2 more on the bottom of the shooting string. Would it have come from the factory that way? Or would it be a replacement for string leach's/whiskers or the like?? I shot it a few times with the nocked strings on it, before switcing them. It seems like there is a slap/crack to it now. Or mabe I'm just hearing things. The strings/splits do sit flat in the cam mod when at full draw, and it's shooting bullets at 40 yards. I also noticed the string stop was pushing the string out a bit, so I shaved some of the rod off with my mill, now it sits flat on the rubber stopper.

So back to the nocks, add them or leave them off?? I'm not a fan of those rubber incerts to quiet down the strings, I saw one split and it nailed the guy in the eye.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible that these were to be used as "speed nocks"?? That is kind of what I am getting out of it... look up speed nocks, and placement, and you will probably see that it is similar to the setup that you are seeing. I am skeptic to the idea, but they are supposed to give you a few FPS if placed in the right location..... As far as the creeking sounds.... I think it is you judging the hell out of your new bow, like we all do!
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

yup. sounds like speed nocks. post a pic if you can so we can tell for sure. placed in the right spot they net a few fps more. however, it requires a chronograph and some experimentation to get the right placement. they arent a replacement for string silencers,though. get some good ol' fashion cat whiskers and enjoy your AX. string leeches and such dont work as well as whiskers.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

The Rytera factory strings would be flo green and silver and would have 2 speed nocks at each end of the string near the cam. Some custom string builders will not put speed nocks on their strings unless they have the factory specs for placement as putting them in the wrong place can have a negative affect on speed. I spent a good deal of time in front of a chrono experimenting with quantities and placement on the AX and found the best combination is 3 at each end with the 1st ones being at 14.5" from each end and the other two placed inline going toward the center of the string. Make sure to cover them with shrink tube when finished. You should gain between 5-8 fps compared to not having them at all.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

While on the topic of speed nocks - anyone have any "ballpark" placements for the Cheetah? And is is right that solo cams only need the nocks at the bottom??
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    While on the topic of speed nocks - anyone have any "ballpark" placements for the Cheetah? And is is right that solo cams only need the nocks at the bottom??
    Not positive if this will apply to the Cheetah, but I played with speed nocks on a Tranz cam AX last year and never saw anymore than 2fps difference and I spent hours in front of the chrono with that bow. I used combimations of location and as many as 6 nocks at a time, most of the combinations actually resulted in a loss of speed and some combinations added a noticable vibration to the riser.

Advantage Custom Strings

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    The Rytera factory strings would be flo green and silver and would have 2 speed nocks at each end of the string near the cam. Some custom string builders will not put speed nocks on their strings unless they have the factory specs for placement as putting them in the wrong place can have a negative affect on speed. I spent a good deal of time in front of a chrono experimenting with quantities and placement on the AX and found the best combination is 3 at each end with the 1st ones being at 14.5" from each end and the other two placed inline going toward the center of the string. Make sure to cover them with shrink tube when finished. You should gain between 5-8 fps compared to not having them at all.

Now this is what the "TECH" stands for in Martin Tech Forum. Great info, thank you.