Thread: Slicing serving

Matt Foster

Post Slicing serving

Greetings,

I recently bought a Martin Cougar SE and its been shooting great.

Unfortunately i noticed soon after purchase that a segment of serving on one of the bus cables was continuously getting sliced, it appears to happen everytime the bow is drawn, the bus cable rubs against a sharp side of the circular pulley in the top cam.

Any ideas on how to stop this? The opposite side of the small pulley that is causing the abrasion is smooth, could it be on backwards?

Cheers,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I don't quite get what you are describing. What cam are you shooting? If you are shooting a Dynacam or MPro then I think your idler wheel might be leaning quite a bit. To remedy this you need to twist up one side of the cable yoke so the string is coming straight off the wheel.

If you are shooting the Nitrous cam then the same procedure applies.

It's best to sue a bow press for this, but if you don't have access to one then you can just back off the limb bolts (evenly) till the rigging goes slack.

Matt Foster

I think it is the Dyna Cam, ill post screen shots tonight. I'll try that yoke twist technique as well to see if that can improve things. I think you're dead right about the idler wheel. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I say idler wheel is because you said "top limb". Although this may be the case it would have to be pretty severe "cam lean". I don't think I've ever seen an idler leaning enough to slice the serving, but you might have it none the less.

vthunter

Default serving slicing

I have an 07 bengal with m-pro cam and it's slicing the serving where the draw mod meets the cam, hasn't got the string yet. When I bought the bow it did not have a cable guard, so I got one and set it up and think I had a little too much clearing for the fletching. Making the cam lean to drastic.

Matt Foster

Yeah it could do with a weak limb. I brought it to the shop and had someone twist one of the strings in the yoke but he said this wouldn't effect the top cam so i don't think its helped the issue that much, I think a picture is worth a 1000 words so here's three, a profile shot of the cam and two shots looking down into it, one is a little biased so i posted two.

The guys at the shop thought it could be a weak limb or just a leaned cam but in either case we identified that the slice occurs about an inch below where the serving hits the stop and its actually rubbing on the inside of the wheel for the power cable. Any advice on how to fix this is very much appreciated, Thanks in advance!