Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing From TRG To Cable Slide. Do I Need Shorter Cables?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Changing From TRG To Cable Slide. Do I Need Shorter Cables?

Okay guys. I'm going to make the change once I get some answers and hopefully new cables and string from Martin. The TRG is tearing up my new set too.

Here is my question. Martin Customer Service says just swap out the parts and do nothing else to the cables. E.G. no twisting or shorter cables needed. During my conversation with CS and he said they are making all new bows with a cable slide instead of TRG and they are using the same cables as before and aren't changing anything. I told my local dealer that I have a cable rod and slide to convert and he says I don't want to twist up my cables as much as it would take and I need new shorter cables. Without having tried it I would agree. It would be a lot of twisting IMO.

For those that converted your bows over how much twisting did you have to do. How far apart are the twists? Did the cable act like a pretzel?

*EDIT*

It all works good with little to no fuss. Don't worry about it. Read on below.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 08-15-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added Info
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Although the TRG does pull the cables to the side a little more going to a regular slide isn''t going to make that much of a change that would require different cables. If you were going from a CCS to a slide then yes, it would call for 1/2" shorter cables, but I think you'll be OK with what you have.

If you now have the bow's draw length dead on for you then take a pencil and draw a line on the left side of the cam (RH bow) where it passes thru the limb fork. This will give you a good indication of whether the draw length changes when you make the swap. My guess is that the draw will get just a tad shorter, but not very much. Make the swap and see what ya got.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

The pro shop converted mine, they didnt say anything was more difficult or a pain. I saw no differences. But I'm not knowledgable enough to know if there are more twists, or to much cam lean, or anything. Draw seemed close in length.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Barry I need to talk with CS because I think I should start with a fresh set of cables. I really only want to do this once. I am so sick of messing with this bow.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I'll make the change at some point this weekend if time permits.

Sonny, the cable rod they sent was straight. If you think tracking down an offset rod is worth it I'll see if the local dealer has one. If not I'll use what they gave me, straight rod and grey cable slide.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny

It looks like I would have to order that offset rod since the only one I can find today is a screw in Cobra which won't work. My local guy isn't open again until Tuesday and if he doesn't have it I would be the following week before I get it.

I may throw the straight on on and then when I can find a off set try it. I might even have to look at making one if I can find some 3/8" aluminum. If I do that I will need some measurements if you have them.
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

I have to call Martin Monday about my cables and string so I will ask about getting one of those too if they will sell directly. I need a SOS rubber to since mine tore.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Thanks!

I have to call Martin Monday about my cables and string so I will ask about getting one of those too if they will sell directly. I need a SOS rubber to since mine tore.
    If your converting from the TRG to a rod/slide, you'll need the low mount STS, won't be able to mount the SOS to the rod/slide combo.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

I have already mounted the lower STS. I had to remove the SOS already because the rubber tore.

Have you converted any from TRG to cable slide? Do you have any words of wisdom you would like to share? I'm learning as I go so all info is appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark
    Firecat 400