Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing From TRG To Cable Slide. Do I Need Shorter Cables?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Jim

I have already mounted the lower STS. I had to remove the SOS already because the rubber tore.

Have you converted any from TRG to cable slide? Do you have any words of wisdom you would like to share? I'm learning as I go so all info is appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark
    I've got a FC 400 hanging here as well as a conversion kit, if I can get some spare time tomorrow I'll do the swap and record the numbers before and after.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    I've got a FC 400 hanging here as well as a conversion kit, if I can get some spare time tomorrow I'll do the swap and record the numbers before and after.
    That would be great. What kind of measurements: a2a, draw length change, cam rotation change, cam lean, cam timing?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

That would be great. What kind of measurements: a2a, draw length change, cam rotation change, cam lean, cam timing?
    Mark, Here is what I came up with. Starting point was with the string/cables set to factoery specs, the cams timed and the TRG installed.

DL 29.25" DW 60.1# Brace 7 1/16" Left side A2A 31 7/8" Right side A2A 31 7/8" clearance to Blazer vane 17/32"

Specs with rod/slide installed.

DL 29.25" DW 60.0# Brace 7" Left side A2A 31 7/8" Right side A2A 31 15/16" clearance to Blazer vane 6/32"

The cams remained in sync with the rod/slide installed. The bow had zero cam lean with the TRG and very minimal lean with the rod/slide installed, not nearly enough to be of any concern. I would guess that 1-2 twists in each cable would have brought the DW and brace back to where they were with the TRG, but with that small of a change.........I really didn't see the need. Hope this helps in some way.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

Thanks! for the info! Did you use a straight or offset rod?

Once again this proves how little I know and that I shouldn't assume. I honestly don't know how you can move the cables over so far and not affect A2A but you have proven I was dead wrong. My apologies to Martin for doubting them.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

Thanks! for the info! Did you use a straight or offset rod?

Once again this proves how little I know and that I shouldn't assume. I honestly don't know how you can move the cables over so far and not affect A2A but you have proven I was dead wrong. My apologies to Martin for doubting them.
    Mark,
    That was using the standard straight rod. If you are using high profile vanes such as Blazers, I'm not sure the offset rod would be of much more benefit. The small change in brace shows that the cams will rotate a small amount before the limbs will actually move and affect A2A. My press won't allow me to press these bows without removing the draw stop, and even though I marked it before removal, I most likley didn't get it back in the exact place so that would be the reason the DL never changed, although it would have only changed about an 1/8" at most.

Make the swap, put 1 twist in each cable and go shoot/enjoy your bow.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

I took the before measurements, now I'm getting ready to change it over.

I have one question. Which cable goes in what slot on the cable guide? I just want to make 100% sure so I'm asking. I have been wrong to many times already and have filled that quota for the week. And it is only Monday!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I figured out the cable arrangement.Slide isn't as smooth as TRG. specs to come soon.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

I took the before measurements, now I'm getting ready to change it over.

I have one question. Which cable goes in what slot on the cable guide? I just want to make 100% sure so I'm asking. I have been wrong to many times already and have filled that quota for the week. And it is only Monday!
    Leave the cables attached and just loosen the set screws for the TRG after you get tension off the cables, slide the TRG out of the slot and install the rod and retighten the set screws. The cables will still cross under the rod with the conversion, so which way to install the slide will be obvious. It can only be installed one way where it will keep the cables from rubbing each other.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

You missed my post above Sonny's. However, I happened to do it exactly the way described. Brilliant minds think alike!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, all the measurements are done. I left the draw stop in place and watched the cables in the modules as well. On the left will be my old settings and on the right the new, You will see that there was virtually no change at all. I had even less change than Archerx7 on some stuff. I didn't simplify numbers to make the comparisons easier. Hopefully my math teacher will forgive me.

Draw Weight
    61# / 61.5# ---- I don't have a digital scale so it is a best guess but it did seem to increase just a tad.

Draw Length
    27-16/32" / 27-15/32"

Brace Height
    7" / 6-15/16"

Vane Clearance
    1/2" / 1/8" --- Yes, a reduction of 3/8 inch! Gt Velocity Hunter 400 with 3" Vantec VMax vanes.

Arrow Clearance ----- Only after removal of the TRG measurements were taken.
    GT 400 .290" diameter = 5/8" clearance
    Easton ST Excel .274" diameter = 11/16" clearance

A2A RT side at rest
    32-7/32" / 32-7/32"

A2A LT side at rest
    32-732" / 32-9/32'

A2A RT side at full draw
    28-22/32" / 28-21/32"

A2A LT side at full draw
    28-21/32" / 28-22/32"

I also marked the cams with pencil per Barry's suggestion. That cams did rotate slightly, about 1/16" in the direction they move if you draw the string back. Is that advanced or retarded?

There you have it, for all intents and purposes nothing changed but vane clearance.

*Edit* The cable slide was not smooth on the cable rod initially. After a a slight break-in period it is smooth and friction free.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 08-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    Firecat 400