Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Changing From TRG To Cable Slide. Do I Need Shorter Cables?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post

Another thing; Not readily seen is the bow string changing position laterally. Okay, I have my STS dead center of the bow string. So giving the cables a good waxing I removed the guide. As I waxed the cable I notice my STS off center to the string and I thought; "what the heck?" Just by chance in wondering I pulled the cable over a bit like they were in the guide and sure enough the bow string centered to the STS. Finished waxing I installed the guide and again the bow string was centered to the STS. Now, this was on my Shadowcat - long, long riser. BUT if my Shadowcat riser flexes that much with cables not stressing it, isn't there some flex on a shorter riser? Just food for thought. Someone having a short riser could check to see if there is lateral movement. May not be much, but should be there.
    You are right about that flex and it is more than I think it should be. I noticed this when I had my SOS installed. From the factory at full poundage the SOS was centered on the string. I had the bow for 45 pound draw weight when I first got the bow. I had to move the SOS to line it up. I shot it that way for a while until my muscles got used to drawing a bow. When I upped the poundage I had to move the SOS back because now it was no longer centered. I think I mentioned this in a previous post and have some pictures in my photo gallery. So yes, the riser flexes a lot!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Another notice. It seemed point of impact changed, more to the right about 1 to 2 inches. I didn't persue more testing for impact. It was just too hot....
    I went out and made a few shots. Only a few, it is 108* out there right now!

My point of impact moved too. However, mine moved to the left approx. 1" at 10 yards. I'm a righty, are you? if not I am surprised the POI moved in opposite directions?

I will try a sight adjustment and see if that is enough to fix it. If not I will do the 10 yard tuning bit.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about taking that measurement Sonny! I didn't know what I could use it for so I skipped it. You have to excuse my ignorance, I'm a green horn. Everything I know about bows has come from you guys on this forum. I'm learning quickly but have a long, long way to go!

Teflon sounds better than plastic. My cable slide appears to be plastic. It could be a lot smoother. I may see what the local guy has tomorrow. What is a good replacement if I need to order one or pick one up?

Did you see my response above about riser flex?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I have a few shots on the bow the cables slide is no longer sticking in spots. It must have polished the surfaces to where they slide easily now. It just needed a short break-in period! I am happy for that.

Sonny, I added the arrow clearance you requested to the specs above.

Yes, I saw about the flex. It's really guite stunning. okay, me; Stress off the riser, stress off the cams equals "Gooder."
    Just think, what you are seeing is before the draw. I wonder what it looks like during the draw or at full draw?
    Last edited by MLN1963; 08-08-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I changed mine last night and had no problems with the strings. I dont think it is that big of a change.