Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow Identification

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bow Identification

Greetings! My brother gave me an old bow a few years back. It stayed in the closet for many years but I recently dug it out and am in the process of refinishing it. I have done some searching on the web and think this may be an old Martin bow. If I posted pictures of the bow would anyone here be able to tell me the make and model of the bow or at the very least if it is indeed a Martin bow? I really appreciate any help you all may give.

Thanks, Poke

Post Thanks / Like

It's quite possible somebody here could identify it. There are some dealers on here and old timers like me that have been around bows for decades. Post your pics.

And welcome to the Tech Forum.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin/Rytera Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Here a few pics. Thanks for the welcome. I hope someone will see these and know what I have.

Attachment 3750PICT0098.jpgPICT0099.jpgPICT0100.jpgPICT0101.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up That really looks like a piece of history....

I am also curious what is the heritage of that bow. She must have some story to tell. Hope someone can id it. Looks like an early takedown. I think Bob Lee lays claim to the first 3 piece takedown produced by his company Wing Archery. This is going to be interesting.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Destroyer; 08-05-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

And it looks like Destroyer just showed us the forerunner of the Rytera Seeker in that pic. Notice the Jaguar??????
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure Destroyer has it right. I did a Google search and come up with a link to Ebay and they fellow had a nice picture of the label and I am almost 100% certain now that it is a Warthog Magnum. Is there a way to tell more information on the bow from the markings and numbers? I am curious what year it was made as well as the bow number. Are they good shooters? It is a beautiful bow and I can't wait to get it refinished. Thanks for your help folks. Especially to Destroyer. :salute:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pokesalad View Post
    Are they good shooters? It is a beautiful bow and I can't wait to get it refinished.
    The older wood riser bows I've shot have been very nice to shoot. When you refinish it hopefully you can post a photo or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Default UPDATE: finally done with refinishing this bow

I thought I might post pics of my progress with the bow. I still need to have it strung but all the wood pieces have been stripped, cleaned, and sealed. I used stripper to get the paint and polyurethane off. I then sanded using 250 grit, then 340, and finally 400 to smooth everything out. I used Teac Oil to condition the wood and after a 72 hour drying period I applied 3 coats of polyurethane. I also repainted all of the parts that are black with flat black. I would have loved to have gotten some replacement stickers but I think I am actually liking the look better without them, although a specs sticker would be nice. Anyway, here are the pics. Thanks for the interest.

Poke

PICT0103.jpgPICT0104.jpgPICT0105.jpgPICT0106.jpg

Post Thanks / Like