Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: what video cam for self-filming hunts?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here's the Tachyon Xc Action Cam I had on one of my bows. But make sure it is legal in your state to have a battery operated device on your bow while hunting. I took this pics for practice.

    Tachyon XC (Extreme Cam) 002.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    Here's the Tachyon Xc Action Cam I had on one of my bows.
    What is the picture quality like? Tachyon Micro looks pretty good, waterproof, good extras including Universal Mount but no zoom or lcd screen.

    http://www.tachyoninc.com/

    I'm also looking at the Kodak PlaySport zx3 (waterproof).

  3. #23
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    he has tp buy all the acc to plug into his puter,but a guy would think it should have came with all that stuff

    I'm not up on all this stuff. I know I have a Sony HC7 (mini DV) and it came with all the cords needed. Just ply into the HDV/DV port under the monitor and directly into a USB2 port on the puter. Of course you have to be using some sort of editing program to download it to. A simple one is Windows Moviemaker, but being as I do underwater video (scuba diving) I needed a more upscale editor so I'm using Corel Ulead Pro X3.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

  4. #24
    Senior Member gravedigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    forest grove,oregon
    Posts
    3,594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I'm not up on all this stuff. I know I have a Sony HC7 (mini DV) and it came with all the cords needed. Just ply into the HDV/DV port under the monitor and directly into a USB2 port on the puter. Of course you have to be using some sort of editing program to download it to. A simple one is Windows Moviemaker, but being as I do underwater video (scuba diving) I needed a more upscale editor so I'm using Corel Ulead Pro X3.
    looks like you know more then me.i just plug the cords into ware they fit or put the sd card in my computer and it does the rest,downloads everything and i dont do anything.my wife calls our video cam chris proof.i would not know how to edit to save mylife.lol

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SW OK
    Posts
    1,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My kid has a Flip and he says it makes sounds turning on so keep that in mind if you are using it for hunting.
    Firecat 400

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    What is the picture quality like? Tachyon Micro looks pretty good, waterproof, good extras including Universal Mount but no zoom or lcd screen.

    http://www.tachyoninc.com/

    I'm also looking at the Kodak PlaySport zx3 (waterproof).
    The cam I have is several years old. Maybe the HD ones are way better now. I have a video on Youtube i put together pretending I was hunting and I decided to shoot my Decoy. Keep in mind that after you shoot...you need to keep the bow pointed at the deer until it drops or its out of range. I made sure my bow was balanced and practiced videotaping before I started. I ended up taking it down. I was more worried about the cam if it was on or not than my hunting. If you add the cam to the riser of the bow, your' gonna pick up the vibration from the riser. Because the cam is waterproof to a certain depth. The speaker in internal unless you keep the rear flap open. I had it closed on the second video. The issue I had was when the sun went behind the mountain and I was still hunting, the video looked like I was hunting after hours. It needs the sun above and in front of it to collect the best light possible. No Zoom of course.
    http://youtu.be/nehLFZM74zs
    http://youtu.be/U-128BPztrs

  7. #27
    Senior Member HawgEnvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Posts
    1,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DS,what range was the decoy at? it didnt seem to jump to much at the shot. it looks like something that would be pretty good at 20-25yd shots. that would be legal here. whats the other side look like? how does it mount?
    Last edited by HawgEnvy; 08-08-2011 at 07:34 AM.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    DS,what range was the decoy at? it didnt seem to jump to much at the shot. it looks like something that would be pretty good at 20-25yd shots. that would be legal here. whats the other side look like? how does it mount?
    I think the first shot was at 32 yards then I moved back to 40 yards on the turkey decoy. As soon as you shoot you learn to keep the bow pointed in the general area of the shot. it comes with several type mounts. Take a look at the accessory section or see what comes with each type of camera. The one I use was a side plate with holes in it. It was made to be attached to a helmet. I modified it and used Zipties to attach it to the cam. I placed some some in between the cam and riser so the riser woudn't get scratched.

  9. #29
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As you can see from the footage the hardest part is keeping the camcorder still. Fast, jerky motions make it very hard to keep up with what's going on, giving the viewer a sense of vertigo. This is something you learn with time. A lot of that can be editied out once you learn how. If there is something you absolutely feel you have to save then you can slow it down. That's the power of editing. When panning do it slow and steady. Probably something very hard to do with a bow mounted system.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    As you can see from the footage the hardest part is keeping the camcorder still. Fast, jerky motions make it very hard to keep up with what's going on, giving the viewer a sense of vertigo. This is something you learn with time. A lot of that can be editied out once you learn how. If there is something you absolutely feel you have to save then you can slow it down. That's the power of editing. When panning do it slow and steady. Probably something very hard to do with a bow mounted system.
    Correct. After a days hunting my left arm felt like Jello. Because I always wanted it to be at the ready just in case a Muley jumped up in front of me. You can leave it on for 8 hours at a time but I chose to save battery life. So i turned it on and off as i needed it. Plus for batteries, the lithium batteries are the best.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •