Thread: Quick way to find the center shot!

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick way to find the center shot!

One very fast way I found the center shot is.
    1. A piece of bright colored thread.
    2. Allen bits that fit your limb pockets.
    3. A bow square.
    First place the Thread over the hole in the limb bolt. (thread hanging down in line with the riser)
    Second place the the Allen bit in the hole.
    Third pull the thread tight and lay across the bottom limb bolt
    Forth place the Allen bit in the bottom limb bolt (make sure the thread lines up with the end splits in the limbs)

Now you are ready to put the bow square on the string. Line up the bow square with the thread and place a piece of tape on the riser, where the center is. You can also eyeball the sight and line it up too!

1 center shot.jpgCenter shot.jpg

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well Sonny T, I understand what you are saying. But we haven't found any problems finding the center shot with this method. Seems the thread is thin enough and it gives you a birds eye view to line up everything. Sort of like you said eyeballing it. But we do it also with an elastic band around the Allen bits. This method is very effective too. So far either method I have done has worked well. The only time it has not is when the bow shoots off centered

BO.jpg

Hutch

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I just use a shaft on the inside of the cutout with an arrow on the string and get the arrow parallel to the shaft. Its only a starting position to tune anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Sonny

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Forget who makes is, but similar to the elastic band, but gives more room for the arrow. I think I have one, probably in my archery collection box along with the brass knob and pointer rod center shot gage. The only center shot gage I haven't used is the Bohning Accu Laser. Mmmm? I think there might be a Bohning sponsored shooter near by - may drop a hint to him.....
    Unfortunately Bohning do not make the Accu Laser anymore.

I do however have a review on the Double Take Laser, in the Bow Tuning Section of the Martin Forum. The Double Take Laser is basically a short arrow which you nock and place on your arrow rest, once you turn on the Laser, it hits all fixed points on your bow, such as Cam, stabilizer and sights. If you are a release shooter you adjust your arrow rest so the laser beam aligns to your lower and upper cams, then adjust your sights to align with the laser beam. Then you should be all set.

I recommend the Double Take Laser over other Laser devices, as most laser devices necessitate either removal of your sight or it piggybacks onto some other part of the bow.

The Double Take Laser can be also used in the field to instantly let you know all is well with your bow.
    Last edited by Barry O'Regan; 09-17-2011 at 04:23 AM.
    1982 Martin Cougar Magnum
    Bohning Archery Bohning Pro Field Staff. T.R.U. Ball Staff Shooter. Hamskea Archery Solutions Staff Shooter.

Post Thanks / Like

i do mine exactly as hutch except i cut slots in the allen bits with my dremil tool and use those stretchy strings off ear plugs , tie knots in the string so i have to stretch it a little and put it in the slots in allen bits. i use a short arrow with a field point , knock it in the rest and move the rest until the field point is pointing at the string in the allen bits. someone said that isn't the center but it is close enough for me. all of my bows are set this way and they all shoot great .
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowgramp59 View Post
    i do mine exactly as hutch except i cut slots in the allen bits with my dremil tool and use those stretchy strings off ear plugs , tie knots in the string so i have to stretch it a little and put it in the slots in allen bits. i use a short arrow with a field point , knock it in the rest and move the rest until the field point is pointing at the string in the allen bits. someone said that isn't the center but it is close enough for me. all of my bows are set this way and they all shoot great .
    Hey bowgramp, good ideal I will have to do that. Cut a groove it the Allen key.

Hutch