Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Need help with noise

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Jennings, LA
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Need help with noise

    Okay I did some on the spot testing today of the Onza and am trying to figure out where the noise is coming from on the bow. The noise happens when I pull the string back just a bit and let it go it makes a thunk sound on release. I took off the SOS and it did not make a difference. I then took off the STS and that did not make a difference. I tried three different stabs and that did not make a bit of difference. I seems to me that the noise is coming from the string itself and not from anything else. I know this is not really the best testing method but the thunk is driving me crazy. I put some cat whiskers on it but I think they are too short to help so I think I will redo those as well. I also made sure that everything was still tight as far as nuts and bolts go.
    So does anyone have any ideas on how to quiet a string thunk?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
    The noise happens when I pull the string back just a bit and let it go it makes a thunk sound on release.
    Something isn't right, I could understand a thunk from a full draw but from a small amount of draw?

    Not the rest?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
    Okay I did some on the spot testing today of the Onza and am trying to figure out where the noise is coming from on the bow. The noise happens when I pull the string back just a bit and let it go it makes a thunk sound on release. I took off the SOS and it did not make a difference. I then took off the STS and that did not make a difference. I tried three different stabs and that did not make a bit of difference. I seems to me that the noise is coming from the string itself and not from anything else. I know this is not really the best testing method but the thunk is driving me crazy. I put some cat whiskers on it but I think they are too short to help so I think I will redo those as well. I also made sure that everything was still tight as far as nuts and bolts go.
    So does anyone have any ideas on how to quiet a string thunk?
    Ear plugs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member peace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Hummnnn!!!

    Well a tink, thwack or a twang I might be able to help you out with but a thunk, I can't think what that might possibly be!
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

    "I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Jennings, LA
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I know it is the weirdest thing. It happens even if the string is pulled only an inch back. Could it be some kind of vibration getting to hte limbs when the bow string is released?

    Spiker, I would but it will be hard to get the deer to wear them until I can shoot them.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Arrow Splitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Gilmanton, NH, United States
    Posts
    3,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know whether you have a cable guard or a TRG, but either of those might be making that noise.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SW OK
    Posts
    1,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My guess is its the TRG. The inside cable is coming forward and thwacking against the front of the TRG cable groove. If you move the TRG forward slightly I bet you can get rid of it.
    Firecat 400

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    baraboo, wi
    Posts
    307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Something isn't right, I could understand a thunk from a full draw but from a small amount of draw?

    Not the rest?
    x2
    anything else tied to cables?
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Jennings, LA
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    nope the only thing touching the cables are the cat whiskers and the TRG but at finger plucking distance not sure if the cables move enough on the TRG to cause the noise. I put some Limbsaver solid limb noise reducers on the limbs last night may go out later and try it out but the noise is still there when I pluck the string.

    I may try messing with the TRG and maybe also relace the cat whiskers with some longer ones. How well do string leeches work?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SW OK
    Posts
    1,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Shark

    Is the left cable touching the front part of the TRG?
    Firecat 400

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •