Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with noise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with noise

Okay I did some on the spot testing today of the Onza and am trying to figure out where the noise is coming from on the bow. The noise happens when I pull the string back just a bit and let it go it makes a thunk sound on release. I took off the SOS and it did not make a difference. I then took off the STS and that did not make a difference. I tried three different stabs and that did not make a bit of difference. I seems to me that the noise is coming from the string itself and not from anything else. I know this is not really the best testing method but the thunk is driving me crazy. I put some cat whiskers on it but I think they are too short to help so I think I will redo those as well. I also made sure that everything was still tight as far as nuts and bolts go.
    So does anyone have any ideas on how to quiet a string thunk?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
    The noise happens when I pull the string back just a bit and let it go it makes a thunk sound on release.
    Something isn't right, I could understand a thunk from a full draw but from a small amount of draw?

Not the rest?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
    Okay I did some on the spot testing today of the Onza and am trying to figure out where the noise is coming from on the bow. The noise happens when I pull the string back just a bit and let it go it makes a thunk sound on release. I took off the SOS and it did not make a difference. I then took off the STS and that did not make a difference. I tried three different stabs and that did not make a bit of difference. I seems to me that the noise is coming from the string itself and not from anything else. I know this is not really the best testing method but the thunk is driving me crazy. I put some cat whiskers on it but I think they are too short to help so I think I will redo those as well. I also made sure that everything was still tight as far as nuts and bolts go.
    So does anyone have any ideas on how to quiet a string thunk?
    Ear plugs.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hummnnn!!!

Well a tink, thwack or a twang I might be able to help you out with but a thunk, I can't think what that might possibly be!
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

I know it is the weirdest thing. It happens even if the string is pulled only an inch back. Could it be some kind of vibration getting to hte limbs when the bow string is released?

Spiker, I would but it will be hard to get the deer to wear them until I can shoot them.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know whether you have a cable guard or a TRG, but either of those might be making that noise.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is its the TRG. The inside cable is coming forward and thwacking against the front of the TRG cable groove. If you move the TRG forward slightly I bet you can get rid of it.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Something isn't right, I could understand a thunk from a full draw but from a small amount of draw?

Not the rest?
    x2
    anything else tied to cables?
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

nope the only thing touching the cables are the cat whiskers and the TRG but at finger plucking distance not sure if the cables move enough on the TRG to cause the noise. I put some Limbsaver solid limb noise reducers on the limbs last night may go out later and try it out but the noise is still there when I pluck the string.

I may try messing with the TRG and maybe also relace the cat whiskers with some longer ones. How well do string leeches work?

Post Thanks / Like

Shark

Is the left cable touching the front part of the TRG?
    Firecat 400