Thread: Super Diablo recurve questions?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Super Diablo recurve questions?

All, I have purchased my first recurve bow this past weekend. It is a Super Diablo in perfect condition and I really like it. I have two questions and hope someone may be able to help me out. First off, I would like to know anything about this bow like when it was made or how old it is. Below is the information on the bow.

55# @ 28"
    ESD 7215
    AMO 60"

Super Diablo
    USA Martin archery Inc ina circle with a deer picture.
    Then has Damon Howatt signature on it.

Secondly, this bow seems to me to be very loud. I had jstu gotten into Traditional archery last year and purchased my first longbow which I love. I thought i would try a recurve so purchased this one. Never having one before this may be the nature of the beast but the recurve is so much louder than the longbow. I do have string silencers on but that doesn't seem to help at all. Not sure if it has to do with the wider limbs and the string slapping them but just really seems to be loud. Is there anything that I can do to help this.

Thanks
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Default super diablo

Larry the diablo has been around for years precursor to the dreamcatcher it should be a beautiful bow show us some pics. as far as the noise check the brace height should be 7 1/4 to 7 3/4 that may help also pick up a set of wool strings called the bow hush they wrap around your strings wherethey touch your limbs it quieted my dreamcatcher down alot good shooting

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, check your brace height. Make sure the string is coming off the string groove before the groove ends. Another thing you can do is put 'String Groove Silencers' on the limbs to quieten it down more. http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=3559

What string do you have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bansheewins View Post
    Secondly, this bow seems to me to be very loud........Never having one before this may be the nature of the beast but the recurve is so much louder than the longbow.

It is the nature of the beast. A recurve will be louder than a longbow. When you give up the silence you gain fps and a much softer release (less hand shock). The energy is in the arrow not your hand. As for stealth, there are some things you can do. As it has been said, check brace hieght and put silencers on the bow and string. You will never get it completely silent.

Sometimes just changing the string helps.

I have two strings made almost the same with the same silencers. I made both to have 16 strands with the same end serving but different center serving. One of the strings is almost silent when the other sounds like I plucked a string on guitar. It also slaps the bow with a little thump. I have tried changing types of sliencers. I've changed the location of the silencers and nothing works on this string. Maybe it is the different serving I used or maybe the twist is a little different. I do not know but the loud string is for fun and back-up. The silent one is for stealth and hunting.

I like wool strips or beaver skin silencers. I think Tarantula Legs are my favorite. I have even cut a piece of rabbit skin and made my own. This is a neat option because you can experiment with the size you need.
    Last edited by shaverd; 08-09-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing I just thought of is check the number of strands your bow string is. Fewer strands will twang lounder than a higher number of strands. You could lose a little fps with a thicker bow string but it will be quieter. The loss will be so small it won't matter.
    Last edited by shaverd; 08-12-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

All good advice on the noise problem. Yes recurves are a little louder than a longbow due to more contact between the limbs and the string. Two more things to consider - Flemish strings tend to be quieter than endless loops. Also see what your end servings are made of. Single strand nylon serving tens to be harder and noisier than braided servings. The serving threads usually say something like, "Center serving" or "End serving" on them. And definately try the Bow Hush regardless of any other solutions you try. Bow Hush really works.

mike

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeepRiverBowman View Post
    Flemish strings tend to be quieter than endless loops.
    Don't agree, especially with Dacron Flemish. On my bows they have made more noise than endless loop, they are thicker and seem to 'slap' against the bow. I'm not a fan of them at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point about Flemish being thicker. Maybe it's a wash between thicker vs. harder serving. What do you (Destroyer) serve the ends of your string with?

mike