Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eight day 3D shoot in England

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eight day 3D shoot in England

I have just completed my first ‘South West Challenge’ and thought you guy’s might like to hear a few details..
    This is an annual eight day shoot around the Southwest of England.
    Four clubs, eight courses, run over a nine day period (we get a day off in the middle).
    As usual with NFAS shoots, all styles from Primitive to Crossbow and Compound Unlimited were catered for, with the traditional classes making up more than half the competitors.

Day one, 36 targets, combination of 3D Big Game scoring and faces with spots, 2 or 3 arrow depending on spot color (2 arrows at yellow, 3 arrows at red)
    Day two, 36 3D, Big Game scoring
    Day three and four, 36 3D (including a flying goose!) each day, Big Game scoring
    Day five, 36 3D, Big Game scoring
    Day six, 36 3D, Somerset 2 arrow scoring
    Day seven, 38 3D, Woodsman scoring
    Day eight, 38 3D, Big Game scoring

If you managed to hit your mark every time, that made 334 shots required (I didn’t quite manage this, LoL).
    You could end up shooting 762 arrows total. (this is what some of our trad shooters call getting their money’s worth).

Total points available for the week was 7,598, I didn’t win any medals but was not totally unhappy with my final score of 6,197 points.

Kev

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. It sounds fun too. Are there any websites with pictures?

Job job too!!!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

If any of the clubs involved post pictures, I'll give a link.
    I did take some photo's, but for some reason I cannot upload them.
    No matter what I do, I just get a grey box with a question mark in it.
    Any one got any ideas why?

Kev

Post Thanks / Like

Man that sounds like a blast. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and a great score also. Be interesting to know what some of the traditional guys did.
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishKev View Post
    If any of the clubs involved post pictures, I'll give a link.
    I did take some photo's, but for some reason I cannot upload them.
    No matter what I do, I just get a grey box with a question mark in it.
    Any one got any ideas why?

Kev
    The pictures might be too big. If so, just resize them and try again.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Okay, a big event, I'll give it that. BUT! I wouldn't enter or watch. Archery events are to be archery events, not endurance contests.
    Shoot, I'd be happy to find any kind of events around my neck of the woods. I guess nobody here ever heard of them things. Party on !!
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    The pictures might be too big. If so, just resize them and try again.
    Yeah, I tried that, didn't work.

One of the shooters took a whole pile of pics, links below,

https://picasaweb.google.com/natterj...eat=directlink

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Okay, a big event, I'll give it that. BUT! I wouldn't enter or watch. Archery events are to be archery events, not endurance contests.
    Sonny, I'm sorry you feel that way.
    The shooters that take part regard it as the perfect opportunity to catch up with old friends, and to meet new ones, all the while taking part in a sport they love, rather than an endurance test.
    Who really wouldn’t like to spend a week just shooting their bows?

This is the 15th year of the Challenge; it was previously called the Devon Challenge as the rounds were held only in the county of Devon.
    From 2007, it was changed to the South West Challenge as due to popular demand other clubs in the region wanted in.
    Shooters travel down from all over England to take part.

Many of them camp at the grounds and regard it as a very good vacation.
    Due to the way our shoots run, you mostly get to shoot with different, and new, people every competition (this goes for any shoot, not just the Challenge).
    The organisers allocate the 4 person groups for the shotgun start at 10am.
    As a compound shooter (Unlimited), I only shot with another compound archer (Limited) on 2 of the eight days, everyone else shot some form of Traditional bow (ranging from Primitive up to Freestyle).

As a little background into UK archery, there are several associations in England, I shoot with just one, the NFAS.
    NFAS has 151 clubs nationwide.
    I have 8 clubs in a 35-mile radius (as the crow flies) that hold a couple of shoots each per year, sometimes more.
    If I extend the range a little, there are many more.
    Each of these clubs normally get up to100 archers per shoot, sometimes more.
    I would estimate that around 70% of archers in England do not shoot compound.
    We have a large number of families that shoot, plus there are also lots of lady shooters.
    Although in the 2 years I have been shooting 3D I have noticed a bit of a drop in numbers, it is due to our economy and fuel prices forcing people to travel less (I admit to doing the same).
    Club memberships on the other hand are going up, more people are coming into the sport all the time.

Kev

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very cool. I t seems like it would be a lot of fun and just a big ol party when you weren't shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have lost a lot of arrows on all those targets! It looks like a lot of fun though.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I would have lost a lot of arrows on all those targets! It looks like a lot of fun though.
    I was lucky, lost one, broke another hitting a rock and had one robin hooded by a longbow shooter.
    That was kinda cool though, stickshooters revenge, it's normally us that shoot their arrows.

Forgot to mention on my previous posts that there were also archers from Eire (Southern Ireland), Holland and Germany taking part.
    Only a few, but they were there.
    In fact, the Ladies Hunting Tackle class (recurve) was won by an Irish shooter.

Kev