Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck module screws.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stuck module screws.

Took my Scepter down to clean, lube, inspect and discovered that two of the module screws are stuck in the cams. Same one in both Nitrous cams. The one that rides in the slotted hole. The others were a little tight but came out. I have quality allen wrenches but don't want to pull any harder.

Anyhow I've put a little Kroil Oil penetrant on them and no joy. Put a little heat on the base cam with a heat gut and still no joy. Other than letting them soak overnight does anybody have suggestions/tricks to offer?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok this might work,put allen wrench in screw and lightly tap allen wrench with a hammer,lightly tap it see if that wont loosen it up.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

try this
    Attachment 3843

works great on everything else. soak and let sit overnight. ive never had to use it on bows so let us know if it works.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually try some wd40 or penetrating oil but it doesn't always work. The problem lies in the socket screws themselves I think, there not made very strong especially the allen key holes. You could try putting a little more force on the allen key or maybe using a Allen bit but its risky. You might end up having to do some slotting in the screw like me if you round the allen key holes.

I hope someone has a better suggestion.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

its definately a touchy area. how would he slot the screws w/o damaging the cam. makes me cringe.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    how would he slot the screws w/o damaging the cam. makes me cringe.
    I'll be doing mine with a dremel tool, very carefully. I've been putting in off for the last couple of weeks, I'm waiting or my limbs to be made/sent so its been a good excuse not to do it.

Just thinking about it makes me cringe too!

Post Thanks / Like

PB Blaster and Kroil Oil are both good products. The best penetrant oil I've ever seen is Mouse Milk though. A couple Airplane mechanics I know introduced me to it. Gotta get me another bottle. http://www.mousemilk.com/

I'll keep Kroiling and tapping and heating till I get them out. Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have room try a soldering gun and an ice cube. No kidding...several cycles of hot and cold usually does the trick. Don't melt anything!
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjchasman View Post
    If you have room try a soldering gun and an ice cube. No kidding...several cycles of hot and cold usually does the trick. Don't melt anything!

I like that. I've got the cams off the bow. My heat gun will get them so hot you can't hold them but the soldering gun will localize the heat better. I'll be back.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    try this
    Attachment 3843

works great on everything else. soak and let sit overnight. ive never had to use it on bows so let us know if it works.
    I'd drink that stuff if it would help me loosen up

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com