Thread: Help with new cheeta

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with new cheeta

Just got a brand new cheeta. From what I have read they are suppose to be quiet. I am using a whisker bisquet rest and put cat whiskers on the string, bur it has so much srting noise I would never be able to shoot a deer. Anybody have any suggestions.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

an aftermarket STS will help quite a bit. mine quieted down alot when i got a set of custom strings. i think i picked up some speed,too. ive only got a shred of a bowjax on my string w the sts. very quiet. you might pe able to see it in the pics in the classifieds. '08 blackout Cheetah
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

If catwiskers are fitted correctly there shouldn't be much noise. Are you sure its the string? Could be the e-clips or something loose on the bow. Whisker biscuits will add a little noise but not that much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smmstclair View Post
    Just got a brand new cheeta. From what I have read they are suppose to be quiet. I am using a whisker bisquet rest and put cat whiskers on the string, bur it has so much srting noise I would never be able to shoot a deer. Anybody have any suggestions.
    What is your arrow weight and what weight is bow set to.A light arrow can make a bow louder and to me a bow backed to far off max weight makes a difference too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2010 Cheetah, and the biggest things that quieted mine down was to add an STS, and limbsaver buttons... The buttons helped a little, but the STS was the biggest change. Changing arrows was HUGE too. Went from arrows that were 390 grains total weight, to ones that are 430 grains. I have some older XX75s that I use for varmints and what not (because my old man had about 30 of them laying around). They are 525 grains, and my bow is a whisper using them - and shoots just 1" low at 25 yards!

I have Vaportrail strings, factory STS, Limbsaver buttons, and vaportrail string leeches, top and bottom, and their small ones on my cables. I shoot at 66 lbs, 30'' draw, 28'' Mayhem arrows for a total weight of 430 grains w/o lighted nocks and 442 grains with lighted nocks.
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

Its is the string if I add more whiskers it will get quieter. MY arrows are gold tip and are for 55-70# bows.

Post Thanks / Like

The arrows can't be 55-70 as Gold Tip doesn't make them. How about 5575? Small difference, but you need to list some bow specs. Draw length and draw weight would be preferrable along with the arrow length. Another thing that leads to noise is improper cam timing. Maybe you could post some pictures of the cam from different angles so we can see that it's got proper orientation.

Another thing, and very often not noticed or mentioned, is nock fit to the string. If they snap on too tight then they hang on when the bow is shot. If you need help with any of these things then bring on more questions.

If you're shooting with a detachable quiver remove it and shoot again.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

barry,whats the best way to loosen the nock fit. ive got a couple that are real tight. hard to get them off the string w my fingers
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    barry,whats the best way to loosen the nock fit. ive got a couple that are real tight. hard to get them off the string w my fingers
    There a several ways to loosen the fit. One is to heat the nocks in hot water and then press them on the string. Another is to just use a fingernail file or emery board. I don't like either cause it's hard to do any two just the same.

I'm pretty anal about nock fit so I choose better nocks. For carbon arrows I use Easton CB bushings and large throat (.098) G-nocks. They are very consistent for size. The added advantage of this is that the aluminum bushing helps protect the nock end of the arrow when hit.

The absolute best way to get proper nock fit is to replace the center serving. If the nocks are too tight then use smaller diameter serving. I've had a spool of old braided fastflight (.021) that I've had for years. I serve it really tight and find that most times it gives a final diameter of about .110". This makes the nocks snug but in time it compresses and wears a bit and gives a loose snap-on fit.

The fit you want depends on several things. The string material and strand count. How tight it is served. Consistent nock size.

People don't realize how important something as simple as nock fit is. It's just one of the little details that need addressed during the initial setup of a bow. Especially in this day of cam lean and lateral nock travel. it's good to have a checklist of things to look at before even shooting the first arrow. I don't use one any more, but I've been at this too many years. When I get a new bow (every year)the first thing I do is tear it completely apart and throw everything on a pile. Use a micrometer to check everything and then reassemble the bow. If center serving is too large I replace it while the string is off the bow.

In your case, if you only have a couple nocks that are tight then trash them and put new ones in. Just a general rule, but you should be able to nock an arrow, hold the bow so the arrow is hanging vertical, and give a good snap to the string with your finger---the arrow should fall off. Maybe a touch tighter for hunting, but not much.

OK, I got long winded again.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Took the bow to local pro shop. They think the cam is bad. The draw module does not sit on the cam right. We compared a module they had and saw nothing wrong with it. And the timing is off to. They are going to put a new cam on. Thanks for the info everybody.