Thread: Twisted limb or cam lean?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Twisted limb or cam lean?

I have a 2006 martin cougar c4 with se limbs. Dyna Cam. It has always had what appeared to be a slight cam lean on the lower single cam. Not a noticeable limb twist.
    The only effect from that was a little extra wear on the string. I recently had the string replaced at a local sporting goods store. Now when drawn, the buss cable slips off of the cam, down onto the spacer on the axle, when the string is let down, the cable pops back into its groove on the cam.
    The only thing besides the string change, was decreasing the draw weight initially.
    I have a number of questions:
    Would a lesser draw weight enhance the lean that was already there?
    Would different sized spacers or shims along the cam help to correct the alignment?
    Could the buss cable be tightened/twisted on one side of the cam to help realign?
    Or is this likely a limb issue and require replacment?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gutcheck33 View Post
    I have a 2006 martin cougar c4 with se limbs. Dyna Cam. It has always had what appeared to be a slight cam lean on the lower single cam. Not a noticeable limb twist.
    The only effect from that was a little extra wear on the string. I recently had the string replaced at a local sporting goods store. Now when drawn, the buss cable slips off of the cam, down onto the spacer on the axle, when the string is let down, the cable pops back into its groove on the cam.
    The only thing besides the string change, was decreasing the draw weight initially.
    Would different sized spacers or shims along the cam help to correct the alignment?
    Could the buss cable be tightened/twisted on one side of the cam to help realign?

Thanks
    My guess is that you don't have anything seriously wrong with your setup. Pictures would be priceless in this instance...otherwise we're just speculating.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum.
    I'll put this all as simply as possible. I've had similar problems with my 2007 Martin Jaguar. The cable has never popped out of place, but the cable was at such an angle that it would rub the side of the module before going into the groove, causing serving damage.
    I found that by turning my cable rod so that the angle of it wasn't out so much, my cable wasn't at as much of an angle. I believe that you have the same problem. Turn you rod so that you barely have enough vane clearance, and you should be all set.

Decreasing the DW (draw weight) will not make lean worse.
    Spacers may change alignment, but I don't believe this is your problem.
    Twisting the buss cable will not help solve your problem.
    I don't believe that there is anything wrong with your limbs.

I hope this helps,
    A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say the guys are right. If you have a dog-legged cable rod then rotate it so there is minimal fletching clearance. The farther out it is rotated the more severe the angle of the cable is leaving the module. Let's make another thing clear here. In 99.9% of cases cam lean and limb twist are the same thing and are caused by the string and cable being pulled to the side by the rod/slide. In some rare cases the cam is crooked due to the axle holes not being drilled straight, but this is rare.

Sometimes you can get a little better results by switching the two limbs around(top to bottom and vise versa), but not often. As Cherryjuise said, pictures can be very useful in these cases.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently had the string replaced at a local sporting goods store. Now when drawn, the buss cable slips off of the cam, down onto the spacer on the axle, when the string is let down, the cable pops back into its groove on the cam.
    If the bow was fine before it sounds like the person that 'fixed' the bow has done wrong. Maybe the limb pivots aren't seated correctly or the string length is wrong. I find it amazing and scary that the cable comes off the cam and pops back on again!

Btw, did the shop have a bow press?
    Last edited by Destroyer; 08-14-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had some cam lean as well, and as sated above I moved my cable rod and turned my fletchings cock feather out just to where it misses it. Although that didn't completely take the lean away I also had the string coming of crooked on the idler wheel. So after a quick yoke adjustment I was back to normal.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the ideas. The shop did use a bow press and the string is 88" as manual for 06 cougar. I will try the least invasive suggestions first and see how it goes. Thanks for the tips. I will add some pics when time permits.