Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stabilizer .... really??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stabilizer .... really??

I'm wondering if a stabilizer is really needed?? What does it do? I have previously used the SIMS S and X coil stabilizers, but I see all of these other stabilizers that are alot of money and of sometimes ODD designs and I find myself wondering ..... is it really needed???
    THIS SPACE IS RESERVED FOR WHEN I BECOME A STAFF SHOOTER!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say yes or no, but I think its more of a personal preference. I've personally shot with a stabilizer for the last four years and recently removed it and shoot better. My groups improved by an inch out past 40 yards. With broadheads I'm grouping 2-3 in at 40 yards. That used to be my 30 yard grouping. And its not me getting better at shooting as I have been shooting all week and removed and improved today

Post Thanks / Like

I think there needed on some bows more than other's.Heavy bows might just need a sims where lighter bows might need one a little longer and heavier to balance it out.
    I use a sims myself on both my bows seems to fit the bill for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Up to you,but a good stabilizer should make you more accurate by acting like a counter balance,keeping the bow stable.They also help in shock and noise reduction.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

i dont use a stab at all.its just that much more on my bow i dont want,i dont like how it sticks out.could be the one thing that grabs a stick when im getting ready to shoot and scare off my elk.i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Life View Post
    Up to you,but a good stabilizer should make you more accurate by acting like a counter balance,keeping the bow stable.They also help in shock and noise reduction.
    That about sums it up.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a stabilizer for both balance, and shock reduction. To me, they aren't so much for noise, but a good stabilizer will reduce shock down significantly, and also balance the bow better for a steadier shot. A bad stablizer will do little to nothing.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can try to find someone with a stabilizer set. such as a long front bar, say 28-32" and a side bar, that comes off the left side of your bow (if your a right handed shooter). The difference between that, and your basic sims (great hunting stabs) is balance...its amazing how much differently your bow will react. I know I will be buying a set from Bernie"s control freak stabs. For hunters, the need for the "fancy" stuff is, well, not needed lol. for guys like me, who love shooting targets (not as much as hunting) there is definately a need. It CAN and WILL make a difference between a 12 or a 10 on a 3d target, or "x" and a 5 on spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably the best way to decide if a stabilizer is right for you and the best type is to start with a few fresh targets and shoot some groups with and without stabilizers. See how much difference there is. You can probably get a couple of your buddies to let you try theirs to get the feel for different ones. As for paying nearly as much for a stabilizer as you paid for your bow, I think that's over the top. I prefer the hydraulic types for the dampening and noise absorbtion, then I find a weight and length that balances the bow so it just tips forward on release.

mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeepRiverBowman View Post
    I prefer the hydraulic types for the dampening and noise absorbtion, then I find a weight and length that balances the bow so it just tips forward on release.

mike
    When I shoot my bow it's dead in the hand, no shock at all, and it falls forward slowly after the shot. I have nothing at all on my bow other than the rest, sights and a peep and D loop. I feel kinda weird as everyone else has string silencers and stab's and limbsavers and such, and yet my bow is quieter than theirs and seems to be very well balanced. That's the reason I was asking if it was something actually needed. I realize the SIMS are fairly light and I don't know if putting one on would help anything or do nothing at all. How would one attach a wrist sling without a stab?? Just a bolt?? (only my second year bowhunting so I'm still learning alot!!)
    THIS SPACE IS RESERVED FOR WHEN I BECOME A STAFF SHOOTER!!!!