Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering 3D creating a Check List...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Considering 3D creating a Check List...

Well I am preparing to attend some of the local shoots here possibly beginning this fall, and I am trying to compile a checklist. Most of the stuff I have accumulated but I am wondering if these things are practical or if I have left something out? There is a club shoot around the beginning of September about 70 miles from here and two weeks after that there is one about 30 miles away.

Any information or advice would be appreciated.

3D Equipment Checklist

Primary Items

Bow (w/ all accessories-sight, rest, stab)
    release
    arrows (6 enough?)
    hip quiver
    binos
    pen/pencil & hole punch
    Arrow puller
    Allen wrenches
    Spare nocks
    Canteen or Water Bottle
    Collared FanBoy Shirt & Cap

Secondary Items

Portable seat
    Poncho and Rubber Boots
    Arrow lube
    Umbrella
    Target cards
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

I always have eight arrows in the quiver and a few more back at the car.

Also some string wax, a cigarette lighter and at least one spare fibre and pin for my five pin sights (yes, someone DID manage to kick my bow over while I was taking a 'natural break'), a multi-tool is also nice to have and a decent knife capable of easing fast arrows out of solid trees. Last I have a fan boy Martin towel on my belt and an old hand towel in the car for drying the bow on wet days.
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Revised Checklist...

3D Equipment Checklist

Primary Items

Bow (w/ all accessories-sight, rest, stab)
    release
    arrows (Baker’s Dozen)
    hip quiver and belt
    binos
    pen/pencil & hole punch
    Multi-Tool
    Arrow puller
    Arrow lube
    Allen wrenches
    Spare nocks
    Canteen or Water Bottle
    Collared FanBoy Shirt, Cap & Towel

Secondary Items

Tackle Box in Car
    Portable seat
    Poncho and Rubber Boots
    Umbrella

The multi tool comes with on my belt along with a good knife that is normal hunting gear, plus my pocket knife and...
    Bic lighter and Wax will probably stay in tackle box, beeswax for recurve, silicone base for compound.
    I have a Baker's Dozen of Easton XX78's Super Slams 2514's Super lites cut @ 30.5. Someone was throwing these out, there was about 20 with a large bow case. I was able to salvage 13 for use. That was a good archery find. I figure I can sacrifice these to 3D. All my carbons are cut at 31".

I also have six Easton 2013 Jazz's for the recurve. If I really get into this deeply I will probably create an arrow and fletch solution just for 3D but for now I will sacrifice the aluminum's.

I usually carry a backup compass whenever I am in the woods. I have hiked some of the local portions of the AT. Certain items I don't step into any woods without. I lost my bow sling last year along with some of my hunting calls but that's another story. I might use one of my hiking poles instead of a chair if I get another bow sling, that's a debate. Wondering which governing body to become affiliated with; ASA, IBO, or NFAA? I have read all the rules for each so I am a bit dazed for the moment.

For binos all I have is some Nikon's 10x50 a bit big but I like them and I have a good strap solution I created from a couple of photography straps. I would like a bit lighter solution but all I have that is smaller is some cheap Bushnell's that I would use but for keeping the kids off my Nikon's. My photographic optics are all Canon but I can't even begin to think of them as a binocular solution as they are way expensive.

Smarten Up and Martin Up
    Last edited by peace; 08-16-2011 at 11:32 AM.

I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding which gear to carry; just consider what can happen on the course, i.e. You can drop your bow, someone can trip over it, something can come loose or your arrows can get clipped (I have had nocks killed that way). Anything more serious and the chances are you will have to retire from the competition.

As for which governing body: I would look at the schedules and work out where the shoots are that suit you. Also don't forget the R100; I wish they had an R100 series in Europe or at least one comp in the UK as they look like a lot of fun.

NFAA = EFAA in the UK, and unfortunately they (the EFAA) hold almost no 3D shoots, just spots. I shot a two day comp to IFAA / NFAA / EFAA rules a couple of years ago, one day known distances the second day unknown. It was a great shoot, but poorly attended as a lot of the EFAA folk don't like 3D's and a lot of the NFAS (that's the other field / 3D assoc over here) folk don't like the EFAA style of shoots. As far as I'm concerned, they all missed out.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, you guys take this too seriously. The OP did say LOCAL CLUB SHOOTS. If his are like most of the ones around my neck of the woods they're just fun shoots. No sanctioning body or a lot of hoopla. You shouldn't need a truck to carry so much stuff.

I go to at least one LOCAL 3D shoot almost every week and it's for fun. As such a carry all my stuff in my bow case and a small fishing tackle box. Never being too far from the vehicle I don't carry any tools other than an Allen wrench set (yes, I get some loose screws, too). If something really drastic happens it's time to quit and sort it out.

So here's the list of stuff I carry during CLUB shoots.

Bow (outfitted)
    Release
    Arrow puller (sometimes)
    Arrows (3)---sometimes in a hip quiver, sometimes just in my right front pocket
    Swarovski bino 8x30 (sometimes)
    Martin shirt/Rytera hat

I ain't goin camping for the weekend so don't need all those other frills. Guess it all depends on how serious you can get and how far you have to travel. Me? I have 20 archery clubs within 35 miles of my house. Umbrellas? Rain gear? If it rains I'm done ro don't even go. Chairs? Stay home if you just want to sit around. In other words, most local club shoots are pretty informal----and a lot more fun than the big sanctioned shoots.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Most club shoots over here are run under one or other of the national associations, and as such, they are run under those rules. Taking yourself and the bow out of your group and off the course is an immediate retirement, so local or national, I carry enough bits'n'pieces to keep me up and running for the whole (36 to 40 target) course.

As we shoot all day, I also carry a few 'munchies' to keep me fuelled up until lunch. Sometimes it's fruit or a power bar of some sort, sometimes it's just a bag of sweets

Do I take shoot seriously? YUP! After all, there is absolutely no money to be won and I may end up with a little 2 inch medal

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Some good advice thus far...

Thanks B,
    I think I understand that the local shoots are by club rules and I do want to travel light. I was hoping to get away with as few arrows as possible because the water and binos with the exception of the bow are probable the heaviest items I want to tote. Most items I just wanted to be sure I had as I will leave most in the tackle box.

Thanks Neil for the more serious perspective because if God willing I would also by the new year like to participate in some of the sanctioned events. The comments thus far have been very helpful in giving me a better perspective to go out and have some "serious fun."

Smarten Up and Martin Up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    Most club shoots over here are run under one or other of the national associations, and as such, they are run under those rules. Taking yourself and the bow out of your group and off the course is an immediate retirement, so local or national, I carry enough bits'n'pieces to keep me up and running for the whole (36 to 40 target) course.

As we shoot all day, I also carry a few 'munchies' to keep me fuelled up until lunch. Sometimes it's fruit or a power bar of some sort, sometimes it's just a bag of sweets

Do I take shoot seriously? YUP! After all, there is absolutely no money to be won and I may end up with a little 2 inch medal
    Don't knock the medals Buddy, they are priceless! LoL

I have been known to take two bows with me to a multi day shoot, if you have problems, although you might have to miss out on a few targets until you get back to the tea tent area, at least you can then carry on shooting with the spare (most shoots over here you rarely shoot more than 1/3rd of the course before it loops you back to the tea tent).

To the shoot I take 1 or 2 bowcases each containing a bow/quiver and the relevant arrows.
    Arrows are divided into wet (fobs) and dry (feathers), up to a dozen of each.
    My range bag goes as well.
    That contains tools, spares, bowrest, portable bow press, my belt pack I wear around the course and sundry other stuff.
    Shooting seat, this will carry stuff around the course; small kit contaning tools, nocks, points, wax, serving thread, also snacks and waterproofs if required, and a camera if allowed.

On the course I have the aforementioned seat and wear my belt pack containing spare release, pens, water bottle, insect repellent, some target ID cards, safety whistle and arrow lube.
    Also obviously I take the bow with 6 arrows in the quiver.

Kev

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that most of the shoots I attend on weekends are 30 target affairs. There are several during evenings thru the weeks which are only 15 targets. I do have to admit that sometimes bug spray is the order of the day/evening, but rather than mess with that I just take my one shooting buddy who wears a Thermacell and keep him close.

When it gets close to hunting season we have a couple clubs that put on shoots consisting of four courses of 20 shots each. For these I normally pack a bottle of water, frozen. Comes in mighty handy at times. And just like Kevin said, most of the shoots I attend loop back to the club house where there is food and other refreshments.

I used to attend bigger, sanctioned shoots, and did pretty well, but several things led me away from them for a period of a couple years so now I find them quite boring. Standing in line or needing a chair to rest while waiting on several groups in front of me is not my idea of fun any more. I like to shoot and if I can't do that I'd much rather spend my time at these laid back club shoots and mentor/coach some younger or less experienced folks along. Giving something back to the sport is very satisfying to me. And being looked up to for doing so does more for my ego than some of the medals/trophies I have gathering dust.

Sorry to rant so long, and I have no animosity toward anybody who takes things seriously. I did at one time so I know what your thoughts are. I'm just contributing my thoughts as a way of showing how life evolves and what becomes more important.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I must admit...

I am enjoying learning about this side of archery from the English as well as the American. I dig all things international.

I think I will enjoy meeting people who like to fling arrows and learn from the diversity. There is a little competitive spark left in me but it really is not my major focus as I am a pretty content person these days. At some point I would like to do some photography but at first I will just concentrate on the archery. My Martin fanboy shirt should be here today so I am psyched.