Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: offer i may not refuse

Post Thanks / Like

Default offer i may not refuse

crazy thing happend at work today,i had a lady come up to the cemetery and offer me a free house to live in in exchange to tak take care of the propery,the property owner is an old man who can get around to well these days and need someone to live in his spare house(giant house from what she says) on the propery.need some one to patrol the propery make sure noone is poching,camping tweaking,ect..

i have not spoke to the gentlmen yet nor do i know if this is a forsure thing.this place is in the middle of know ware and borderd by BLM land.and i know for a fact the elk hunting up that way is outstanding.what i would do is general property keep up and help him from time to time,well as far as i know with out speaking to him yet.

now my problem ls that i have a appartment off my house i rent to a lady i have know since i was knee high to a grass hopper.if i move she has to move.im the kind of person that does anything for anyone and dont do things just for me too often.but this will save me alot of money in rent(1200 a month)and help my family sooooooo much.my wife says lets do it and do it now

my question is.....if this offer fell into your lap what would you do.and im talking alot of property.im kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place

Post Thanks / Like

The offer sounds amazing but what happens if the older gentleman passes away suddenly? What will you do at that time? Is there enough available housing for you to find a place at short notice to move into to? I would also get something in writing so that it does not bite you in the behind later.

Sounds great and I hope it works out for you. I am trying to not be negative but realistic for you. Hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Sharxfan. Everything nowadays has a liability and or consequence. Make sure that you get something in writing. In front of the Older Gentleman and lady. Maybe the lady is doing something behind the old mans back. Is the lady legal care taker of the Old man and property?.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
    The offer sounds amazing but what happens if the older gentleman passes away suddenly? What will you do at that time? Is there enough available housing for you to find a place at short notice to move into to? I would also get something in writing so that it does not bite you in the behind later.

Sounds great and I hope it works out for you. I am trying to not be negative but realistic for you. Hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    I agree with Sharxfan. Everything nowadays has a liability and or consequence. Make sure that you get something in writing. In front of the Older Gentleman and lady. Maybe the lady is doing something behind the old mans back. Is the lady legal care taker of the Old man and property?.
    for sure anything i do will will be in writeing weather it be a leagal houseing contract or a hand written contract wittnessd and noterized,adressing the houseing issue if he passes away,there a lots of housing op in my area it just cost an arm and a leg to move,but with free rent i can save up what i would need in maybe 2 months and that would be like i was paying rent just to my saveing account.

the lady is just a family friend of his,i know her from her reputation around town(and through my cemetery) and her family has a very good rep around here.

this situtation is one of the "sounds to good to be true" but im not making any big plans till the old man calls me,i just hope he dont call when im on my hunt.and if he wont do a contract with me then no matter how good it is i will stay put

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    There is on question...Or I should say, something to think about. $1200.00 is a bunch to save, but make dang sure you put some of that savings somewhere for you and your family's future. The old saying; The more money you have the more you spend. Well, these days you need to safe guard that "more money."
    that is my main reson for wanting to do this is to save for my daughters future.im so used to being broke at the end of the month it wont be nothing new and i was used to have a grip of extra cash,but i gave my dad a hefty loan and well that brought my saving to next to nothing.and that was a few years back.

this a tuff call.i dont want to put someone out to better myself,but if this can help my familythen maybe its time to be selfish.i just dont know

Post Thanks / Like

Take the lady you rent to with you to keep the old man company,Then you hunt and chase trespassers.Problem solved.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to rent your place? Let the lady renting from you keep an eye on it for you for a reduction in rent. Move the family to the old man's and buffer the difference w/ the cash you save by not making a full house payment. Something will work out. It is admirable that you are also thinking of your renter in this mix.

Just brainstorming lol...
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same as cjchasman, I dont know if you own your house, or rent, but you could rent your half of the house, keep your mortgage on that place and pay it off as a landlord. Move up to the property, but like everyone said get things in writing. Maybe a clause that gives you 3-6 months to find another place to live if something happens to the old man or the situation.
    I dont know if your a praying man, but it always helps me to make big decisions. If in doubt and you have reservations that you cant shake you may want to wait. Just a thought, good luck either way; and if it works out to be true, it sounds like a great deal.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    I dont know if your a praying man, but it always helps me to make big decisions. If in doubt and you have reservations that you cant shake you may want to wait.
    x2 Right on.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

The lady you're renting to is a concern for you. What's the house you are looking into? Maybe it's big enough you could take the old gal along, give her a room and run of the house. Maybe for doing some housework, babysitting, or such you could charge her minimal rent (enough for her groceries). Almost like another grandmother. That would help both of you. Don't know how close you are to her, but it's just a thought.

As for getting something in writing? Maybe talking to the old guy he could stipulate in his will that you maintain your status there in the event of his death or disability.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver