Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRG&SOS ditched

Post Thanks / Like

Fanboys, don't get me started.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I would not consider myself a fanboy but I think my Onza is the Shizzle. It is dead accurate and so far no issues with the string or SOS/TRG. Thats isnot to say that I am not keeping a very good eye on it at this time. I check it each and everytime I shoot, although I hope that next year they come out with a backwards compatible CCS for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin sent new control cables and carbon rod and slide. Took off TRG/SOS and first thing the grove for the carbon rod was not cut straight, pressed bow to relieve stress if any and I had to get it started and tap it in with a plastic mallet (very gently) the holding screws finally seated it. Installed Limsaver STS and served string where it will contact the STS rubber. Checked all cables and cams. I had marked the cams before taking TRG off and with the new Carbon guide, it relaxed the bow about 1/8" equally on both cams. Took 4 shots at 15 yards and nothing changed as far as I can tell. Bow seems oh such more quiet. In all fairness I think some of the string slap noise from before may be because the SOS is right at your ear level. Total cost for me was about $57.00 and 1 hour of my time. If I would have taken bow to a pro shop it's a 200 mile round trip and 75-100 dollars as I did not buy the bow from either one.
    Potential Cost
    $ 57.00 Limsaver shipped from Cabelas
    100.00 Pro Shop Fee
    110.00 Gas and milage
    36.00 My labor cost
    $303.00 Total cost to repair my Martin Onza
    I think they should send me an Exile for free for my daughter. Wait It will coast me $303.00 just to fix it.
    I am rethinking my membership into the Martin Fanboy Club!
    So If you wanted to buy a bow to last 5 years without major bowdown time, what would you buy? I'll sell the (fixed Onza) for $1,000.00 dollars. Is not that what the adds say?

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonny and I have said this along with I believe be fisher. TRG SOS IS A SHORT LIVED THING. We have all said long ago why mess with the rod and glide. It works use it.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

i have an onza 3, shoots great. i'm concerned about the string wear and i've busted the rubber on the trg. will martin send a cable slide rod and slide without cost ? my bow is one of the early ones and doesn't have place for sos . i think i can fix that myself!
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

READ THE ABOVE POST! Yes Martin should send you a new rod and guide, control cables, and the STS that won't fit your bow if it's not cut for it. Limbsaver STS from Cabelas wil run you about $57. You may(will) have to time your cams as the control cables they send you wil be a little long. Martin Archery is behind the 8 ball on this bigtime there must be thousands of these bows that need to be fixed. Hope some new archer dosn't get injured before Martin Archery decides to step up to the plate on this one. Everywhere I read people are having trouble with new compound bows. I think the technology has surpassed the reliability in many of these new products and much more thought should go into what is released onto the market. Good luck with your Onza.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm, a discount for a new bow next year! even better a really big discount for a new bow next year! my bow does shoot really well.......now. i did learn a lot about tuning since april though. and more importantly a special thanks to you guys here who have all the answers.
    that makes me think- has anyone heard from mudpig?
    brad
    Last edited by boobowbender; 09-01-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob cooly View Post
    Everywhere I read people are having trouble with new compound bows. I think the technology has surpassed the reliability in many of these new products
    Technology has surpassed the reliability at a given cost perhaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    hmmm, a discount for a new bow next year! even better a really big discount for a new bow next year! my bow does shoot really well.......now. i did learn a lot about tuning since april though. and more importantly a special thanks to you guys here who have all the answers.
    that makes me think- has anyone heard from mudpig?
    brad
    Kind words, my man, but sometimes we don't have all the answers. Just educated guesses based on many years of experience and tinkering. Some work and some don't. That's why we never quit playing.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver