Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WAX on WAX off .... got string wax questions, and lubes

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Fire! Never!

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    I use Bohning Xccelerator, but pricey for the amount. My next is Scorpion Venom - has leather patch to work into the string. Work in, don't rub until it's hot - just work in good.

I never heat wax on the strings - bad idea.
    The heat is generated by you working it into the strings, the friction of your fingers or your leather applicator is the only heat I am talking about, please believe I would never recommend another source of heat. Although your comment has made me think about a hair dryer, Naw! Well maybe, Naw!

I have also tried mink oil, and leather waterproofing, both silicone based wax products and they work well. I am always looking for household equivalents that may already be present in my home to use instead of packaged and marketed products. I am wary of products that are labeled exclusively for Archery as glues are glues and wax is wax. The material application and chemical ingredients are the only thing that is important, not the labeling or advertising hype. Daniel-san from Mr. Miaygi and peace out!

Smarten Up and Martin Up
    Last edited by peace; 08-21-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried 30.06 Outdoors 'String Snot'?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Anyone tried 30.06 Outdoors 'String Snot'?
    I've been using String Snot for the past year now and it has been working very well.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the same tube of wax for about 2-3 years. UV Blocker made my Atsko.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of these replies. So many options and opinions, but I am glad to hear if what works well for people. I have it in my signature if people noticed, but my strings are vaportrail strings. After what I have heard, I think I am gonna try x wax or scorpion venom.
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

so how often are you guys waxing? my sting is pretty much shot from my trg, which is long gone, and needs to be replaced after season anyways.
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    so how often are you guys waxing?.
    Whenever I see a bit of fuzzing or signs of dryness, cant give you an actual time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peace View Post
    I've got the Bohning Seal-tite a silicone based product which is recommended for synthetic strings but it just doesn't seem to really be absorbed by the material no matter how much you heat it up by friction, and as soon as it cools it rises up off the string in clumps. The Astro Flight strings seem to be almost non-porous and so I use some Behold Furniture Polish which is milky white and a spray on liquid that seems to seep in between the individual strands. Whatever is clever.....

...obligatory fanboy statement follows...

Smarten Up and Martin Up
    I've never cared for Seal-Tite or TexTite just for the reasons you are stating. It always seemed more like candle wax than anything else. Many years ago I started using BCY ML-6, a gummy silicon based wax recommended by BCY at the time. I'm on my second tube now and it'll probably last about ten years. Unlike some I don't overwax my strings; maybe 4 times a year I give them a good cleaning and rewax with the strings off the bow. As others I work up some heat using my fingers. Then put the strings back on the bow and use the old dental floss trick to remove any excess.

Since 1993 I've had 26 bows so rarely ever replace them. I just replace the bow. There have been a couple occasions when I wanted a different color or wanted to try some custom makers strings. Also, in the past I've had strings on a bow for as long as 8 years. That was a bow I shot for about 1 1/2 years and just hung it up while I shot newer ones. It's pretty rare for me to shoot one of my older bows. That's why I usually just sell them cheap or in some cases give them to some deserving teenager.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but Black Lightning does seem to work well on black strings. Honestly, I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between most of the newer waxes. Each string manufacturer has their own and then there are others. Most all that I know of have some silicon base which reduces friction between the strands, which is more important than surface wax. In fact, we in the know know that too much surface wax is just as bad as no wax at all.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.. Nearing 7000 are we Barry?
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com