Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $6 Homemade Bucket Feeder For Deer Season

Post Thanks / Like

Default $6 Homemade Bucket Feeder For Deer Season

I made a new thread in the DIY group section. I wish they would open that up to everyone now that the spammers are under control. I'm posting a link here and hopefully it will work even if you aren't a member of the DIY group.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...100&do=discuss
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I like that MLN,I use a PVC feeder,but have critters getting into it.Might have to make one this week.Good job to you and your son
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

I just walked thru WM and found a very similar bump bucket for $38!

I was going to make some other PVC feeders but I know the deer and critters can stay and gorge until they are full or all your bait is gone. I think the bump bucket will make the bait last a little longer. Not as well as a timed feeder but still better than a PVC pipe feeder.

What I want to figure out now is how to get some water in a feeder. I think that would be more successful than corn. It's probably not feasible but I would like to try it.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 08-21-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I made a DIY Double pipe feeder last season. it was great for taking Game camera pics. But this one spike decided that he would camp out all night long and eat all the corn out of both sides. I had one Doe that waited for me to come out to add more corn. She figured me out in about 3 days. She watched me from a distance one day. She got familiar with the bucket i used and the sound of the corn jostling around. A couple of days later as i went out to add more corn she came around the corner from behind the shed. She was about 8 FEET from me. she had two yearling with her in tow. She came straight at me. I screamed like a 8 year old girl and dropped the bucket and ran back in the house.

She was one of the ones tagged by the state and was moved. She had attacked a neighbors dog while being walked on a leash. I took the Feeder out a couple day later. It was costing me a lot of money. I have to buy the corn in 25 pound bags and don't have any other cheaper deal on corn. I might make this bucket feeder. looks like the feed would last longer.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to do water you should try using the water bottles like they use in gerbil cages. If you hit the local feed store they should have some biggerones for larger animals.

Post Thanks / Like

Double S that is why I made this kind of feeder instead. I've heard of stories like yours before. Is it better? Only time will tell, but it will take them longer to empty it for sure. I hope you make one or two that way we can see if it saves you some money on feed.

I am going to make a couple more to try as well. Finding a good hanging spot near a trail or shooting lane will be the hardest part. I have my game camera set to video right now and hope to get some footage of it in action. The problem with video is if they are eating at night I won't record it.

I think the key to keeping the coons and squirrels from sitting there and shaking the stick until the bucket is empty is location. Don't have it too close to the trunk of the tree or anything else where a critter can hang out and reach the stick. Of cousre it has to be high enough off the ground where they can't reach it or jump up to it too.

Sharxfan

I'm trying to figure out what makes the gravity feeders work and try find a way to cheaply replicate it. I think the bigger it is the stronger the vacuum it will need to hold. Also, I don't want anything that has to sit on the ground because that could bring all kinds of unsavory critters.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great idea, thanks for posting, and please keep us updated on how well it works.
    For those of you wanting a cheap autofeeder, I have 2 of the 6 gallon feeders from moultrie, and they work great, cost 25 each on sale. Got them through gander mountain on line. They run on a battery, but that last 1-2 months, for 5 or 6 dollars. They hold almost 3/4 of a 25lb bag, you can adjust how much it throws, and there is slight ajustment on time of day, usually 30 min before and or after sunrise and sunset. The only issue we had was a squirrel at the internal funnel, spilling everything out, but they are cheap to replace the funnel.
    Just a thought, not trying to highjack the thread. Its just a super cheap way to get an automatic feeder, save some money on corn, but still have the desired effect. I may use your plunger method along with the other feeders.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the Pipe feeder I made last season. You can tell it's popular. If I was a rich man and could get cheaper corn I'd keep the feeder out...but I'm not. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I found a solution to not having trees where I want them to be. T-Posts and 1.5" PVC to the rescue!

Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea on the frame MLN1963. As you see with my pics, there's no tree's either.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I found a solution to not having trees where I want them to be. T-Posts and 1.5" PVC to the rescue!