Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow tuning issues, Cheetah bow, QAD drop-away

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bow tuning issues, Cheetah bow, QAD drop-away

hey all... I am sure if I dig deeper into some threads I can find this answer, but I really want it now haha..... I just got my bow back 2 weeks ago from having my limbs replaced, and what not. I got the idler lean out, the STS aligned, and began paper tuning. I got my vertical tear PERFECT, but I am hitting arrow fieldpoint right about 3/4'' of an inch. I am tuning at about 6' from the paper, and I will tell you my bow specs. I am shooting a 2010 martin cheetah, set to 66-67 lbs, with Carbon Express mayhem 350 arrows. I believe my spine is good, because i had a good tear with my bow using my NAP quicktune 360 arrow rest. I opted for the drop away because the 360 brushes made a lot of noise on the draw with the carbon weave arrows. Just curious as to what else I can really do or if people have some answers on the set up of the drop away rest. I have the launcher sitting perfectly vertical at full draw, with the white marks lined up with each other, not over extending it or anything. Just trying to get it figured out since deer season is coming up, and my practicing has been cut short due to the damaged bow. I'd like to get shooting a lot more here so I can be as prepared as I possibly can. Thanks all!
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Destroyer; 10-01-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah... sorry, nock left. I thought I would move the rest the other way? As far as underspined, I didn't think that was possible, because those arrows I thought may be close to overspined.... The arrows are 28'', draw lenth is 30.
    equipment list
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the pointers. I hope to get it dialed in tonight ! I'll post after I am done
    equipment list
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver

Post Thanks / Like

Check the Tuning forum. At the top there is a link to Easton's Tuning Guide. This might be of some help. Pay particular attention to the next to last paragraph at the bottom of page 7; about release shooters sometimes getting an opposite arrow reaction when tuning.
    Last edited by bfisher; 08-24-2011 at 08:31 AM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Happens to me. When testing spine I have to have to try a stiffer spine or heavier point to see if I'm going the right way.
    I usually just crank on the limb bolts, up or down, and pay attention to shaft reaction. Also it should be noted that I do this with bare shafts first. A shaft that planes to the right is almost always too stiff in my bow (opposite of the charts).

Changing the bow's draw weight is simple and free. If I have to take off two turns to get good flight then so be it. Poundage is just a number. I'm not stupid. Why waste another $100+ for new arrows when maybe 3-5# less`draw weight will accomplish the same thing and even make the bow more controllable, too. Kill two birds with one stone.

Now, if it seems that myarows are too stiff I'll get lighter shafts. I refuse to turn the bow up beyond my comfort zone.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I had a rough try at tuning today. I still have a nock left tear, about a 1/2'' is as close as I got it. Read the easton guide, and I am going to try it again tomorrow. I was looking at the initial setup portion of the easton guide, and I was wondering how important it is to get the initial nocking point centered on the string with my particular bow. Does this apply to older bows, or is this something that I need to abide by? I was thinking I am fine, considering my vertical tear is in check. I just need to work my rest in small incriments I think and I will be able to get it. The one MAJOR worry I am seeing is the fact that I am seeing that my fletching must be making contact with the rest. Both prongs show rub marks from the blazer vanes. I know many people say that they use this drop away rest without issues with blazers hitting, but this really bothers me. I have the rest sitting vertical, when at full draw, the cable tension is perfect, and everything, but I still seem to be hitting. It has hit enough to the point where the felt is starting to tear off. I am curious though, how my vertical tear is ok if it is hitting like this? Using my bow square I measure 3/8'' from the bottom of my launcher to the middle of my nock, which seems high to me? Maybe I am crazy, but hopefully I can spend some more serious time tuning tomorrow.
    equipment list
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver

Post Thanks / Like

Not quite sure what you think the problem is with your qad. Have you tryed shooting from 10 or 20 yards?
    If you are still getting the same tears from back aways you'll have a good starting point.
    However, if you are getting an opposite tear then you were at 6 feet you have a spine problem.
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.