Thread: Questions For Those Who Have Had No Cable Wear From The TRG

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions For Those Who Have Had No Cable Wear From The TRG

I would really like to figure out why some guys have no wear on their cables from the TRG and others like myself do. I have gone thru two sets of cables from wear. They didn't break, they frayed and looked like hell. I have some thoughts on the wear issue but don't know if they hold water or not.

The TRG is different in function than a cable slide not only in the way the cable slides from front to rear but how the cable is bent around the TRG. As the cables goes over the TRG it is flattened somewhat and loses it's round shape. The cable goes from round to flattened and back to round in a very short order under a tremendous amount of tension. As the fibers are forcefully separated and then return to their original shape this must create friction, at least it does in my mind's eye.

Why is the cable slide different than the TRG? The area where the cable glides across is round and helps the cable keep it's round shape. I'm sure there are some stresses with it as well but not to the degree of the TRG. If the cable retains, or mostly retains, it's round shape there is considerably less friction. Again, at least there is in my mind's eye.

Differences in function aside, why do some guys get cable wear from the TRG while others don't? Could wax/lube be the difference? Could it be that some strings leave HammerHead lubed better than others? I understand the factories dip their strings to get complete wax penetration. Could it be that some of our topical string/cable waxes penetrate deeper into the cable bundle? I'm not faulting the wax, I just wonder if some brands are getting deeper into the cables stopping the wear? I used Bohning Xccelerator and U-V-Block by Atska.

You guys with a TRG and no cable wear, what type wax are you using?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing I would ask is how much weight are you drawing back? Maybe that too is a factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was around 48 pounds originally, my second set was around 57 pounds. So that isn't much.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Onza 3, using Papes wax, set to ~62lbs. I have not noticed any wear on the strings at the TRG as of yet. I have seen a few pop up strands not sure if from TRG or they just came loose nothing that I would call major wear. There is some scuffing on the TRG but it has not gotten any worse.

Post Thanks / Like

73# Onza and 70# FC400, and very little string wear on the FC, none on the Onza. Been using Bohning Xllerator wax around the TRG area, and Slick-T-T on the rest of the calbes and string. One thing I have been thinking about though, and someone mentioned it a while back I think. I think the tighter a cable is twisted, the less problems with the TRG system. All of the cable wear on my FC400 came from before I twisted it up to get the ATA right. Since then, no noticeable wear at all. The Onza came with the cables twisted pretty tight, and no wear showing on them at all either. I also have noticed that the Hammerhead strings tend to fray more all over than other strings I've had. Gotta keep them waxed pretty well, or they start fuzzing a bit. Other thing I do is sand down the TRG and polish it to a near mirror finish. My final sanding is with an 8000 grit paper. Leaves it smooth as glass. Yes, 8000 grit. lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.