Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: black ops paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Default black ops paint?

Just curious if you can buy black ops paint in a spay can. I have looked a few places (home depot, manards, etc) and no go. I know you can take it to a paint shop and have it done, but for the price they want I could almost buy another bow. A friend said just do it in flat or matte black but just not the same. Anyone tryed or have done something like this to their own bow? Some of you do-it-your-self guys must have tackled a new paint job.
    Last edited by cyclepath; 08-24-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: missed
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/ try this place for a flex finish. I usually spray my finishes on autos and use flex additives for flexible surfaces. This company in the link is what everyone uses for bows, firearms, etc etc.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of guys use Duracoat. If you go to the Brownells website they have that and their brand that works the same.

Post Thanks / Like

You are talking Bowtech right? It is probably flat black paint covered with their clear rubber coating they use. I think someone posted a link once where you could buy the clear rubber coating in a can.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

not trying to hijack the thread, but do you guys know if duracoat will work over nickel? I have a nickel shotgun receiver that shines and I hate the bright finish on a hunting gun, and I wanted to do a durable rust free kind of finish.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

You would have to scuff it (especially if it has a clear coat or strip it) and then put some bare metal primer but I don't see why it wouldn't work Ford.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    http://duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/ try this place for a flex finish. I usually spray my finishes on autos and use flex additives for flexible surfaces. This company in the link is what everyone uses for bows, firearms, etc etc.

Hutch
    is this a smooth finish when its done? i thought Duracoat would be more expensive than what the site shows. one can would do a whole bow,right? it says 2-4 firearms. Hmmmmm.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hawg, I believe you would only get one bow out of a can. It is deceiving but I think they mean 2 to 4 hand guns and that might be pushing it. As far as smooth yes any bow I have seen done looks excellent.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I think someone posted a link once where you could buy the clear rubber coating in a can.
    Don't think so. Remember asking though.

I think some of the black finishes on bows are actually dipped but I'm not totally sure. Hoyt offers a better finished black but for more $$ so I would expect them to be painted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post

Hutch
    I checked that site Hutch and from what I read they are talking about using a hardener with their finish so I'm thinking you would need a spray gun to use it. They do have a ton of finishes I'll say that.
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.